Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
needsp  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2016 10:28:56 AM(UTC)
needsp

Groups: Member
United Kingdom

Hi Brian

I have an Amanero-Hermes-Cronus Combo with 45.1584/49.152MHz Rhea clocks. I’m feeding it from an Auralic Aries streamer, and into a Buffalo II. The Amanero is powered by an iFi 5V supply (very low noise).

My Buffalo II has a RJ45-socketed input installed. In the past this received just a DSD signal tapped from a Denon disc player. The arrangement works well, without Teleporters; the player is connected to Buffalo with a 50 cm RJ45 cat 5 cable.

I now use this input with the Amanero combo, connected by a 10 cm RJ45 cable hard wired to Cronus. It works perfectly with PCM files up to 196 kHz/24 bit; but with DFF files, even DSD 64, I get music but also hiss and whines, which persist when playback is paused.

I tested the “DSD0E” pin on Amanero during DSD playback an it remained at 0 V. I thought it should register “1”- i.e. 3.3 V? Should I try taking an output direct from Amanero? Or might the Amanero need re-flashing (it was pre-programmed by you)? I’m very reluctant to try this- it’s outside my experience and my comfort zone!

Thanks

Paul N
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 11:30:09 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hmmm... in slave mode I am not sure that register will change. You may simply need shorter wiring - even with cat5 unless you are using teleporter.
Russ White  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 4:47:44 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Also I would simply power the amanero via USB - it will absolutely not do any good to power it separately (because it is isolated) and could cause initialization issues.
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 4:50:22 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Also you need to ensure your DSD is encoded with DoP. The amanero uses DoP to decode DSD signals.
needsp  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 5:51:45 PM(UTC)
needsp

Groups: Member
United Kingdom

Hi Russ

You got it. I didn’t know what DoP was until you mentioned it! After I quick read around I checked the settings of my Auralic Mini server- I’d disabled the “DSD over PCM” option. (I sort of assumed that, like DSD over HDMI from a DVD/SACD/CD disc player, it was an option to convert to PCM permanently- unless I’ve got that wrong too.) Now fine with DSD64, slight issue with DSD128 before track begins, then fine- in particular, no clicks and whines when I pause, just silence.

BTW, the DSD0E pin now goes high during DSD playback. Learning all the time!

I intend to install teleporters, and an I2S/DSD or S/PDIF 2:1 mux, and to tidy up the wiring further.

Many thanks

Paul N
Russ White  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:22:48 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Excellent! Glad to help.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed