Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrMajestic  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:00:45 AM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have just completed a successful mod of the Denon DVD-1920 to tap DSD and PCM to the Buffalo32. Most of this have been covered before, but I never figured out where best to tap +5V for the relay switch until now. On the analog 5.1 output module, there is a ribbon cable going from the mainboard to it. On pin 1 (GND) and PIN5 (+5V) you can tap the voltage you need. I ran this to a switch that I will mount on the side of the case lid of the Denon. I have verified red book CD, DVD-Video (24-bit/96kHz), DVD-Audio (24-bit/192kHz) as well as SACD DSD. I will post some photos if anyone is interested.
NicMac  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:26:39 PM(UTC)
NicMac

I am very interested in a photo or two!
As you may know I did something similar. I could however only get the PCM to work after insertion of a Metronome module.
The ribbon cable you mention also carry other voltages which could be used for the Metronome.
The BIG question..... did you find a way to automatically switch the DSD/PCM relay depending on the type of disk inserted.......
Nic
MrMajestic  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:55:51 PM(UTC)
MrMajestic

NicMac wrote:
I am very interested in a photo or two!
As you may know I did something similar. I could however only get the PCM to work after insertion of a Metronome module.
The ribbon cable you mention also carry other voltages which could be used for the Metronome.
The BIG question..... did you find a way to automatically switch the DSD/PCM relay depending on the type of disk inserted.......
Nic

Nope, I didn't find a way to do it automatically. I would have loved to, but I just couldn't figure it out even after scanning the service manual. If one could somehow sense when the SACD display goes on then switching would be automatic.

Odd that you needed the metronome, mine worked right away straight into the Buffalo. But you could tap +10V from the amp module for the metronome if needed.

I'll try to snap a few pics when I have it opened.
Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:10:03 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
You should have no problems powering the Metronome with 5V. The onboard LDO regs are 3.3v. 1.7V drop should be enough.
MrMajestic  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:12:18 PM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Brian Donegan wrote:
You should have no problems powering the Metronome with 5V. The onboard LDO regs are 3.3v. 1.7V drop should be enough.

I'm curious as why he would need a metronome in the first place.
NicMac  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:35:47 PM(UTC)
NicMac

I could not make PCM work before I inserted the Metronome. Russ had the idea that this might be because the 1920 output PCM in a (non i2S) format that the buffalo would have to be set to understand. The Metronome converts between these formats and would be able to solve this problem. In practice it seems that the 1920 is outputting standard I2S as the standard jumper settings (I2S) on Metronome did the trick. I guess that what the Metronome does in my case is to improve the signal quality allowing for 1m of Cat5.
I was wondering why your previous attempts to tap PCM from the 1920 failed?
Nic
MrMajestic  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:46:07 PM(UTC)
MrMajestic

NicMac wrote:
I could not make PCM work before I inserted the Metronome. Russ had the idea that this might be because the 1920 output PCM in a (non i2S) format that the buffalo would have to be set to understand. The Metronome converts between these formats and would be able to solve this problem. In practice it seems that the 1920 is outputting standard I2S as the standard jumper settings (I2S) on Metronome did the trick. I guess that what the Metronome does in my case is to improve the signal quality allowing for 1m of Cat5.
I was wondering why your previous attempts to tap PCM from the 1920 failed?
Nic

My attempts never failed, I just didn't try it until now. Worked on the first attempt, lucky me :) I have a much shorter cable, maybe 30cm, perhaps that's why I don't have a problem.
MrMajestic  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:35:16 AM(UTC)
MrMajestic

grubyhalo  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:37:24 AM(UTC)
grubyhalo

Thanks for posting the pics, helps a lot! :)
MrMajestic  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2010 3:30:39 PM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Had some clicking interference when playing DVD-Audio. Removed the wide ribbon cable going from the Denon DAC board to the 5.1 amp board and it seems a lot better. I get a few clicks here and there still though. DSD seems to be unharmed and works perfectly. Any ideas what could be the problem?

EDIT:

Seem to be non existent with 24-bit/44.1kHz recordings. Only clicks during 24-bit/96kHz and higher playback.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 2, 2010 3:39:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MrMajestic  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2010 3:15:15 PM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Seems like the clicking might have been user error, which in this case means that I myself screwed something up.
kvardas  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2012 3:06:28 PM(UTC)
kvardas

Can smeone show me how you would connect the DSD output from the Denon 1920 (or 1940 or 1930) into a Buffalo III DAC? I am not worried about the PCM in that I have a separate CD player to output the CD PCM to the Buffalo DAC via S/PDIF.

Thank you!

Kris
Rss Feed  Atom Feed