Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
alumin  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:42:34 PM(UTC)
alumin

Groups: Member

I just received the Opus DAC together with the USB module. However, I now discovered that master volume in Windows (and Linux?) will not affect the I2S stream. I.e. the XBMC volume control cannot be used. So I guess the alternative is to utilize the built in volume control in the WM8741. I know you have a volume potmeter with a AD for this, but what is the easiest way to go if I would like to control the volume remotely (with my Logitech Harmony)? Any suggestions on how to apply a IR receiver to control the volume?

Thanks
glt  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:31:50 PM(UTC)
glt

The easiest would be to replace the pot in volumite with a remote motor pot like the ones here: http://electronics.danti...k/Accessories/index.html and a remote control board like this: http://electronics.danti...ontrol_boards/index.html
Brian Donegan  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:59:49 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
You could also replace the pot on the Volumite with an IR sensor and reprogram the ATTiny85 to process the signals you send to it, then control the DAC.
glt  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:45:29 PM(UTC)
glt

If you wish to go that route, then copy my project ;-)
alumin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:13:35 PM(UTC)
alumin

glt wrote:
The easiest would be to replace the pot in volumite with a remote motor pot like the ones here: http://electronics.danti...k/Accessories/index.html and a remote control board like this: http://electronics.danti...ontrol_boards/index.html

Will this one solve my problem: VolControl1-3? Do I need an AD converter (like in the Volumite) in addition to the VolControl? And btw: Yes, I am a novice...

glt  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2010 10:41:18 PM(UTC)
glt

Those will not work because they are designed to control their analog volume boards.

The volume control inside the WM8741 DAC MUST be controlled by a microprocessor like the Volumite. The Volumite has a variable resistor that tells the microprocessor in Volumite how to tell the DAC to set the volume. So the only option for you (if you don't write the program yourself) is to use the Volumite.

But the Volumite does not have remote. The easiest option is to replace that potentiometer (I don't remember the value, but I think it is a 10K potentiometer) with a motorized potentiometer of equal value. That site sells motorized potentiometers that can be operated with a remote control.

Hope this helps.
alumin  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:28:08 AM(UTC)
alumin

glt wrote:
Those will not work because they are designed to control their analog volume boards.

The volume control inside the WM8741 DAC MUST be controlled by a microprocessor like the Volumite. The Volumite has a variable resistor that tells the microprocessor in Volumite how to tell the DAC to set the volume. So the only option for you (if you don't write the program yourself) is to use the Volumite.

But the Volumite does not have remote. The easiest option is to replace that potentiometer (I don't remember the value, but I think it is a 10K potentiometer) with a motorized potentiometer of equal value. That site sells motorized potentiometers that can be operated with a remote control.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'll better order a Volumite then.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed