Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
thomaspf  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2008 2:42:57 PM(UTC)
thomaspf

Groups: Member

Hi,

what are the chances to see a better USB interface board? The TAS1020 or something similar does support 24/96 streams which would be a much better fit for TPA DACs.

Cheers

Thomas
Dougie085  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:12:10 PM(UTC)
Dougie085

I would love to see this but at the same time I really love the sound I get through SPDIF from my PC. The USB board did actually sound quite a bit different which I did not expect at all. I also didn't expect to actually be able to tell a difference between 16bit and 24bit files but I definitely can. Most of the 24bit stuff I have is also vinyl rips though so that may have something to do with it?
thomaspf  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2008 10:59:10 PM(UTC)
thomaspf

Dougie085 wrote:
I would love to see this but at the same time I really love the sound I get through SPDIF from my PC. The USB board did actually sound quite a bit different which I did not expect at all. I also didn't expect to actually be able to tell a difference between 16bit and 24bit files but I definitely can. Most of the 24bit stuff I have is also vinyl rips though so that may have something to do with it?

I can hear no difference between a 24/96 USB->S/PDIF adapter and a PCI based S/PDIF output when sending identical bits. Bit transparency for USB audio devices on Windows requires kernel streaming as mentioned in another thread. With all the 24/96 material becoming avalable getting a higher resolution USB interface would be nice.

Cheers

Thomas
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 8:13:52 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi Thomas.

We are looking a couple possible solutions for Hi Rez USB. It is something we want badly too.

Cheers!
Russ
thomaspf  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 1:55:54 PM(UTC)
thomaspf

Great to hear. I have an pretty old Audiotrak Optoplay which was a minimal USB->S/PDIF adapter with a TAS1020.

Out of the box it comes with firmware in the chip but you can interface with external memory if you want more sophisticated transfer modes like async USB audio where the master clock is on the receiver end.

Very simple and stable with the standard Windows driver.

Cheers

Thomas

Rss Feed  Atom Feed