Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
glt  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:06:43 PM(UTC)
glt

Groups: Member

After pulling the "I2S" signals out of a computer CDROM, and not getting any sound after connecting the 3 signals to Metro, I decided to read the spec and do some experimentation. Switched the input mode to "Right Justified, 16 bit" and voila! Music... Thanks TPA's Brian and Russ! (Now I need to figure out a easy way to switch between 24bit I2S and RJ-16bit)
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 4:48:12 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Excellent work!

Its time you harnessed the incredible power of the microcontroller. That would be the easiest way to do what you need. :)

Cheers!
Russ
Dougie085  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 5:07:47 PM(UTC)
Dougie085

Would it be hard to adapt the AC1 to control a CD-Rom drive and extract the I2S directly into either the buffalo/opus. Be interesting if we could get the AC1 to display track info and everything and have a FF/RW and Skip controls. Guessing we'd have to write our own firmware even if there was a way to do it. Not sure what's involved in writing FW for the AC1.
glt  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 5:57:43 PM(UTC)
glt

I purchased a controller kit from the vendors section in diyaudio. By "extracting" the "I2S" signal I meant I looked up the datasheet of the controller chip and noticed that it had an audio output in the form for of LRClock, BClock and Digital Data. I figured this is the same as I2S. Then I soldered wires to traces/vias and routed them out the analog plug in the back of the CDROM (perfect since it has 4 pins). I reused the analog CDROM cable you find in computers since it has 3 signal cables and a ground shield and connected the signal wires to the appropriate location in Metro. I later figured that OPUS can also be configured to accept 16-bit right justified, but I already had the Metro in the stack.

Edit: Now that I think about it, even though OPUS can accept 16-bit right justified data, I still did not have a clock (master clock?) signal since I did not know where to pull it off the controller chip, so Metro was the only solution.

Here is a picture: http://picasaweb.google...._Qdg?authkey=XPCnSxjQnD8

Edited by user Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:07:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:09:38 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Dougie085 wrote:
Would it be hard to adapt the AC1 to control a CD-Rom drive and extract the I2S directly into either the buffalo/opus. Be interesting if we could get the AC1 to display track info and everything and have a FF/RW and Skip controls. Guessing we'd have to write our own firmware even if there was a way to do it. Not sure what's involved in writing FW for the AC1.

I think it is possible, but i have not looked very closely. I would have to know the protocol the CD-Rom speaks. :)
Russ White  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:10:48 AM(UTC)
Russ White

glt wrote:
I purchased a controller kit from the vendors section in diyaudio. By "extracting" the "I2S" signal I meant I looked up the datasheet of the controller chip and noticed that it had an audio output in the form for of LRClock, BClock and Digital Data. I figured this is the same as I2S. Then I soldered wires to traces/vias and routed them out the analog plug in the back of the CDROM (perfect since it has 4 pins). I reused the analog CDROM cable you find in computers since it has 3 signal cables and a ground shield and connected the signal wires to the appropriate location in Metro. I later figured that OPUS can also be configured to accept 16-bit right justified, but I already had the Metro in the stack.

Here is a picture: http://picasaweb.google...._Qdg?authkey=XPCnSxjQnD8

That is a very very cool mod!

Nice work!
Dougie085  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:02:38 AM(UTC)
Dougie085

I agree, I think I'm going to have to order one of the little kits :) 38 bucks to my door is not bad.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed