Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
IMGrant  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:09:46 AM(UTC)
IMGrant

Groups: Member

No posts yet on the Metronome eh?

I was wondering if there are plans to make a kit form available? As I'd rather save a few $ and build it myself, but ordering all the parts myself can be complex and end up more expensive.

I also have a question regarding my intended application: I have a pair of Edirol MA-20D speakers, which have S/PDIF input via a Sanyo LC89055W receiver chip (which I can't find any datasheet for, incidentally), and then a TI/BB PCM1728E 24/96 DAC.

I want to add a USB input to the speakers, and to that end I have bought a cheapo USB-Toslink device, a Xitel MD-PORT DG2. This uses a Philips UDA1321 DAC/USB chip to receive the USB data and outputs I2S, a custom Xitel chip (XA3IC2-1) takes this and then outputs S/PDIF via Toslink.

My ideal plan is to use the OTTO 2:1 switch to change the I2S input to the PCM1728E DAC between the original S/PDIF sockets on the back of the speaker (from the LC89055W chip), and that from the UDA1321 chip.
The problem is that I don't know what format (I2S, LSB left-justified, etc.) the UDA1321 outputs, and what the PCM1728E is configured to accept. They both support compatible formats, but from what I understand of the datasheets, this is manually configured, not auto-sensed.
Therefore, my idea is to use the Metronome to take the source from the UDA1321 and output something suitable to the PCM1728E.
My questions are:

1) Does this sound like a sensible idea?
2) Does the Metronome automatically sense the input I2S format?
3) Would this solution have the advantage of de-jittering the USB signal? (I understand the UDA1321 is quite poor)

Any input greatly appreciated, sorry about the long-winded post!
Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:41:23 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
1) Yes, though I would have chosen a PCM27xx-based USB solution rather then the UDA (such as our USB receiver module) as it has better performance and direct S/PDIF and I2S output that would feed you DAC directly.
2) You can configure it for different formats, but it does not auto sense.
3) Yes, it would greatly reduce the jitter.
IMGrant  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:44:21 AM(UTC)
IMGrant

Groups: Member

Thanks for the reply.

Your USB receiver would be better (the best would be something that does 24/96, lots of USB receivers seem limited to 16/48), but MD-PORTs with the UDA1321 chips can be had for £4-5 on eBay, so the cheap factor wins out.

Do you know any way I can work out the I2S output format from the UDA1321 and the input format for the PCM1728E?

Also, can you tell me if kits (non-assembled) are available for the Metronome?

Thanks again!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed