Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
rockthebox  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 2:31:55 PM(UTC)
rockthebox

Groups: Member

Oops..

Got the +ve/-ve supply polarity reversed on the IVY & was a little over confident powering the system up (DOH!). I think I've probably blown the LM4562's (not checked the other opamp as I'm running balanced). I only had the supply reversed on the IVY & continued a test to see what it sounded like. It worked, which was a surprise. But definately some distortion present.

I've ordered replacement LM4562's in the UK & they will be with me on Monday.

However I'm wondering, is it possible that running the COD for a few tens of minutes, driving a damaged IVY, will damage the COD DAC output drivers?

I'm thinking probably not, but should I be looking at a replacement DAC just in case?

I've previously ordered the 4-1 MUX and that is working a treat. Very impressed with the quality of the kits. Thanks for all your good work.

Cheers,

jason

Edited by user Friday, November 14, 2008 2:41:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 7:29:40 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Well, we all make mistakes like that at least once. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Only one way to know for sure if its damaged. :)

It could very well be ok. Its very hard to say.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Friday, November 14, 2008 7:35:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rockthebox  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2008 2:52:29 AM(UTC)
rockthebox

My biggest concern is that the DAC has been damaged in a way that degrades sound quality a small amount. I might be listening to a DAC that is good, but not as good as it could be and have no way of telling. For that reason, do you think it's worth replacing to be on the safe side? If so, can you supply me with a PCM1794 - I've not managed to find a supplier in the UK.

I'm also wondering if I should have gone dual-mono. What is your impression on the difference in sound quality between stereo/dual-mono?

Cheers,

jason

Russ White  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:00:07 AM(UTC)
Russ White

If it works, it likely is not damaged in any way that will effect sound quality. If you are worried, then certainly get a new one. :)

The output stage is a current source, and pretty robust. I am not saying its impossible to kill it, but if it makes music its likely just fine.

I absolutely love the COD in dual mono using two IVYs. This is a wonderful setup. See the IVY manual for possible setups.

Stereo sounds great too, but the best performance is definitely dual mono.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:02:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rockthebox  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 11:46:22 AM(UTC)
rockthebox

We're up and running :-)

I was hearing some strange distortion which I'd put down to my reversing the supplies on the IVY.

Having fitted some new opamps on the IVY & listening again, it sounded exactly the same!

On closer listening the distortion sounded more 'digital' than analogue. It turns out I was having a really bad day when I first wired it together. Not only the reversed supply, but I didn't notice the comment in the Metronome manual about not connecting SCK on the input!

Removed that and the distortion went away. Ya :-)

Have it playing at the moment, not had chance to relax and listen in detail - but it sounds pretty damn good on first impression.

Cheers,

jason

Russ White  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:45:46 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Excellent Jason! Enjoy!

Edited by user Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:42:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rockthebox  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:09:05 PM(UTC)
rockthebox

Cheers will do :-)

jason
Rss Feed  Atom Feed