Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
stewart  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 17, 2021 5:35:27 PM(UTC)
stewart

Groups: Member

I have tried a variety of power supplies and layouts for the BuffPro28 and 38. I am curious if anyone has any layout advice on the current build. Oddly, the sound thins out when I try powering the AVCC separately with the LT3045-based power supply and ultracaps.

I heard a nice improvement using the same combo powering the cronus and DAC. The DAC is very close to sound extremely good, but I have struggled to keep it from sounding bright and believe the layout or power supplies have been contributing in some way.

Thanks.

image_67513089.jpg (244kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
Possum  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 6, 2021 9:53:08 PM(UTC)
Possum

Groups: Member
Australia

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Caps and diodes can make quite a difference to tonality - diodes can produce 'glare' - I prefer Schottky diodes

Never had a problem with thinness powering AVCC separately with LT3045s - just makes the sound noticeably clearer. That suggests to me your PS is adversely affecting the tonality somehow. The AVCC is powering the source of your analog signal so its the most crucial power supply

Layout priorities are 1. keep xformers and AC wiring (which should be twisted) away from sensitive circuits, 2. short I2S leads and 3. short analog leads - which you have done.

I'd also recommend to power the XO separately.

and I highly recommend to ditch the uFl connectors as they sound terrible (may be cause of the 'thin sound')- use solid-core fine silver wire for best results (same on analog wires). I wouldn't use terminal blocks on analog output either.

A high quality .22-1uF filter cap across mains can also help

Your USB source and lead can play a part too...

Edited by user Thursday, May 6, 2021 9:57:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed