Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
stewart  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2020 10:43:53 PM(UTC)
stewart

Groups: Member

I initially built a 9038/mercury and recently have been comparing to a 9028/legato/mercury. When I swap the 9038 with the 9028, using the exact same set-up (same power supplies, same mercury, same voltage regulators and voltages) the 9028 is sounding more balanced with better bass. The 9038/mercury sounds thin and I can't figure out what's going on.

There were earlier iterations of the 9038 build where bass sounded better, but along the way it started to sound thin. Being able to compare directly against the 9028 was helpful to confirm something does seem to be going on, but I can't figure out what. All else being equal, the only thing I can think of is that my current digital playback settings through the 9038 is somehow hampered in a way the 9028 isn't. DSD does make the 9038 sound better (but the 9028 sounds better too) and improves the low end. The best I can describe it is that it sounds like the resolution is there, but the sound just isn't "right." Moving to the 9028 sounds a bit more compressed, but the sound is more musical, more full sounding and balanced without the harshness.

I don't think this is simply how the 9038 sound, but rather that something is going on. I'd be interested in anyone else's thoughts that has experience with both.

stewart  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2020 4:51:37 AM(UTC)
stewart

Groups: Member

I am using the resistors on the Mercury for the 9038 and with the 9038, while playing a sine wave test file, I measure 1.46v max on SE out with volume turned to all of the way up and .729v and .732 between +/- and gnd on balanced out (1.46 between + and - balanced out). I haven't measured the 9028, but this seems low for what the output should be.

If the resistors are supposed to give 2vrms out with the 9038, I would expect v max to be higher.

Edited by user Monday, November 30, 2020 4:52:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed