Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
DQ828  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2015 7:44:01 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Once again I was hoping you could help with a problem I have not been able to solve.

I have 2 DACs, 1 x BIIISE & 1 x BIII, the BIII has your Toslink module in it & the BIIISE has an ebay module in it that says it will play 192khz.

I am using a Squeezebox Touch as the Optical player

I have connected the SBT via the Toslink to my Receiver and it will play any sample rate the SBT will put out.

Both DAC's will only play 44.1khz via the Toslink input and will not lock onto higher sample rates.

Both Dac's will play any sample rate via the SPDIF inputs the the SBT will put out (192khz with modded software)

Both Dac's will play any sample rate from the Amanero inputs.

I have tried varying the settings within the DAC's (via Hifiduino setup) for the optical inputs to no avail.

Any thoughts?

LeonvB  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2015 10:45:30 AM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Have you tried anything in between 44.1 and 192KHz? The standard TPA toslink module should do 96KHz, 192 is too high.
DQ828  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2015 10:53:55 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Yes I tried 96khz, plays fine through coax but not the toslink
It's weird I have the same issue with both modules that are both suppose to play above 44.1khz. I've even used two different SBT's
LeonvB  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2015 7:25:14 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Since the DACs work with coax it's not the DAC module itself. It should be the module or the SBT output not playing nice together. I don't suppose you have a scope to check the output of the SBT and the toslink module? Could you post some pictures to show the setup?
DQ828  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2015 9:13:45 PM(UTC)
DQ828

Originally Posted by: LeonvB Go to Quoted Post
Since the DACs work with coax it's not the DAC module itself. It should be the module or the SBT output not playing nice together. I don't suppose you have a scope to check the output of the SBT and the toslink module? Could you post some pictures to show the setup?

Thanks, I'll post some pitures when I get home, it's confusing as the receiver plays all sample rates from the SBT optical.

No scope I'm afraid.

DQ828  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 7:42:26 AM(UTC)
DQ828

It's hard to get photo's that tell the whole story, in one photo you will see the TP Toslink module (top left corner) which has the voltage divider resistors in place, the signal is being feed to the TP isolated 4 way input via a twisted pair, then to Sidecar etc. The toslink is powered by the BIII supply.

In the other photo the ebay toslink module (top right corner) is connected to the OTTO2 via some microphone cable with the shield being used as the ground. The OTTO2 also has the SPDIF coax input connected to it and I obviously use the OTTO2 to switch between the 2 inputs. The Toslink module is powered by a separate supply to the DAC.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Monday, March 16, 2015 7:52:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 6:16:50 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I suppose it's possible that the optical output of the SB is bandwidth limited, though I have not found anything to support that.

If you open the SBT up again, write down the number on the back of the TORX module and we can look it up.

Edited by user Monday, March 16, 2015 6:17:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DQ828  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 8:51:33 PM(UTC)
DQ828

Originally Posted by: Brian Donegan Go to Quoted Post
I suppose it's possible that the optical output of the SB is bandwidth limited, though I have not found anything to support that.

If you open the SBT up again, write down the number on the back of the TORX module and we can look it up.

If that where the case why would my Integra Receiver play att the sample rates (44-96-192khz) from the optical output of the SBT?

Brian Donegan  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 12:03:04 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DQ828 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Brian Donegan Go to Quoted Post

If that where the case why would my Integra Receiver play att the sample rates (44-96-192khz) from the optical output of the SBT?

Ah, missed that.
LeonvB  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:48:51 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

My first step would be to eliminate some of the modules to rule them out as a source of problems. But right after that, you're down to measuring what exactly comes out of the TORX module.
DQ828  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2015 11:02:53 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Originally Posted by: LeonvB Go to Quoted Post
My first step would be to eliminate some of the modules to rule them out as a source of problems. But right after that, you're down to measuring what exactly comes out of the TORX module.

Yes I agree, I need to get a longer mini coax so I can connect the ebay Toslink to the BIIISE so I don't have to solder anything else to the BIIISE.

I was wondering, is it possible for me to test the output of the ebay Toslink module by playing a 1000hz tone & measuring the output with my multimeter, just to see what the out voltage is?

Many thanks

DQ828  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2015 10:49:38 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Well I have had no success getting the ebay Toslink to play anything higher than 44.1Khz.

I tried a direct connection to the BIIISE but that didn't help.

I also tried a voltage divider using a trim pot, the lower the Toslink output went the worse things got.

Maybe the signals not strong enough for the BIIISE that's all I can think.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed