Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
t-dog  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2014 6:26:40 AM(UTC)
t-dog

Groups: Member

Hi TP crew,

I have built a BIII board with Placid HD v2 regulators and a Legato I/V stage, with an S/PDIF-4 board, Sidecar and a toslink board, and although it all looks good with what I have measured (i.e. DC voltages look great) I cannot get the LOCK LED to light on the BIII board, the MUTE LED stays on and of course I get no output.

I am including a few pics. Well, I'll try, if it only accepts one attachment I'll add additional posts below.

A few things I have tried:
The output from the toslink board is 2.3v peak to peak.

I made the S/PDIF-4 board with resistors for the following inputs: 1=AES/EBU, 2=TTL, 3=consumer, 4=consumer.
I have tried the toslink board into each of the inputs without any luck. In desperation I have also tried with and without the ground wire connected from the Toslink board, and with and without the Sidecar - no difference in any configuration.

How do I go about debugging this?

Thanks,
Paul

Edited by user Sunday, June 29, 2014 6:30:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

t-dog attached the following image(s):
photo 1.JPG (195kb) downloaded 16 time(s).
photo 2.JPG (209kb) downloaded 14 time(s).
photo 3.JPG (213kb) downloaded 14 time(s).
photo 4.JPG (193kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
photo 5.JPG (177kb) downloaded 15 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
t-dog  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2014 4:16:02 AM(UTC)
t-dog

Really, no hints on how to debug this yet?

I have just borrowed a CD player with S/PDIF out so I will test that tonight and hopefully get a step further in the debugging process, it will at least eliminate the toslink receiver module.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Paul
t-dog  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2014 12:05:57 PM(UTC)
t-dog

I have tested it with an S/PDIF feed from a CD player. I verified that the S/PDIF feed was ok by connecting it to my current DAC and listening to it - it sounded as expected.

Connecting the S/PDIF feed to the S/PDIF-4 board (attached to the Sidecar and then the BIII) had the effect of making the mute LED turn off, but I have no lock LED (it was still dark) and no output.

How do I determine what board has the error and what it might be?
LeonvB  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2014 4:58:40 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Some things to try/check would be: Toslink (configured for TTL) directly into the DAC board. It's unclear if you have tried this or not.
Are the relais on the sidecar clicking when you operate the switch (which I don't see on the pictures)?
You seem to have set some of the on-board switches, but the resolution is too low to confirm this. What is the configuration?
thanks 1 user thanked LeonvB for this useful post.
t-dog on 7/1/2014(UTC)
t-dog  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:32:17 PM(UTC)
t-dog

Many thanks Leon. Yes, I tried the Toslink board directly to the BIII board - no lock or sound.

However, I don't hear the relays switching when I operate the switch so I'll check this, the environment may be too noisy to hear them.

Yes, I have set the DIP switches on the BIII, but now this brings me to a question. I have the latest firmware (had to swap it) and p24 of the integration guide mentions that the switches should all be swapped Off for On etc, but I am not sure I have read this correctly. With the latest firmware should the default position for SW1, 1 & 2, be ON (as indicated on p25), or OFF because they should be swapped? I may well have this wrong.

Thanks,
Paul
LeonvB  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:53:39 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

"For now this chapter is based on the standard firmware as shipped with the Buffalo III as of March 2013."

So if you have the new firmware, you do NOT invert the settings. Only if you are using the old firmware (which is not recommended).
t-dog  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2014 10:52:31 AM(UTC)
t-dog

Ok, some success!

maybe one of the switches to control the input switching was not correct, but I went back through all of the switches and turned 1&2 of SW2 on and off again, and I have S/PDIF input working - sounds pretty damn good.

I did move the S/PDIF input to the other consumer level input I have configured on the S/PDIF-4 board and can confirm that the input switching works as expected.

I still do not have the Toslink input working... When the Toslink board is connected to the TTL level input I have configured on the S/PDIF-4 board, the lock led flashes and I have small snippets of audio coming out of the DAC.

So I wired the Toslink board to the other (now first) consumer input and it works fine. Sounds bloody excellent! However I would like to know if I have messed up something so that it does not work into the TTL level input as it should. Any ideas?

Cheers and thanks,
Paul
Brian Donegan  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2014 2:52:21 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Try adding a jumper from GND to - on the TTL input.
thanks 1 user thanked Brian Donegan for this useful post.
t-dog on 7/3/2014(UTC)
t-dog  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:12:37 PM(UTC)
t-dog

Thanks Brian,

I tried that tonight - no change, well, the lock light did not even flicker... So I'm still a bit confused that the Toslink board will not work into a TTL level input. It works fine into a consumer level input though, so I have music.

If there is any way to debug this I would like to know.

Thanks,
Paul
LeonvB  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2014 5:21:54 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

It seems Obvious your module is now configured for consumer level output now. Have you read page 67 of the guide? That describes the difference in setup. Perhaps the splitter is still in place?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed