Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
astro888  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:04:44 PM(UTC)
astro888

Groups: Member
Sweden

I have two buffalo3se one legato 3.1.
For input i have one Toslink module, S/PDIF 4:1 MUX/Receiver and an OTTO-II 2:1 MUX (waiting for new usb module).
Psu supply for dacs are two Placid HD's and for the legato is three Placid HD BP's.
For the input and switch modules there is one LCDPS.

First of all when configuring the buffalos with one legato.
I am placing the dacs under the legato instead of over so i can have access to setting the voltage on the legato. Witch otherwise should have been blocked. And also because i have replaced the opamp with a discrete and the electrolytic caps with Elna Simlic II's so this is the only way i could make it all fit. But it's the same as mounting them over if you look at the alignment of the boards holes.
Im using the legatos boards holes with spacers mounted under to each two of the dacs holes closest to the center of the legato.

The integration guide reads:
Mode Left Differential Output Right Differential Output
Normal Normal Phase Normal Phase
Mono – Left Normal Phase Anti-Phase
Mono – Right Anti-Phase Normal Phase

From what i understand from this is that the dacs output holes for the channel placed closest and almost aligned under the legato is Anti-Phase, Is this correct?

Is there any special setting of the dip switches or jumpers besides the default dual mono config when using one legato?

And can you change the sides of phase and anti-phase in dual mono with altering the settings of jumpers or dip switches? Because it would be nice to have the in-phase holes almost line up with the legato with my config.

Im using short 50ohm 2.5mm silver plated coax cable to connect the dac to otto and then to the 4:1 mux is this sufficient?

Also when connecting the toslink module to the 4:1 mux what config should i use on the toslink module, ttl or consumer level?

Im also wondering about the best dip switch settings for the 4:1 mux setting one is normal that i get but could i leave the number two dip i center because buffalo dosen't use recovered master clock? Or must it be set to something? Dip switch 3 and 4 im not sure about whats the best or default setting?

And how mutch current should i set each of the Placid HD BP's feeding the legotos left, bal/se and right input?

I now its a lot of questions but better to ask first and try, than fail.

Best Regards,
Peter Hoppman
astro888 attached the following image(s):
IMAG0155.jpg (173kb) downloaded 87 time(s).
IMAG0156.jpg (222kb) downloaded 56 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:42:46 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
All good questions that I am glad you asked.

Yes with your config the side closes to the DAC will be antiphase, but I would not worry about that a bit. It should not effect anything really.

If you like you can reverse the phase of the balanced outputs when you wire them to the XLRs. Just keep in mind the SE outputs will still be opposite phase.

if you have access to an AVR dragon or similar programmer I can send you special firmware hex that will flip the phase for you.

I typically recommend you use plain hookup wire to start. Later if you want you can try coax if you like, but it usually does not work better.

Start the Placid BPs at around 150ma, and adjust as necessary to get around 50ma shunt current.

I will get back to you on the 4:1 mux settings.

BTW that's a really cool idea for a setup. I Applaud your initiative.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:43:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Russ White for this useful post.
astro888 on 2/28/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed