Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tomas  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2008 2:15:43 AM(UTC)
Tomas

Groups: Member

I set up 2 Opus DACs and a USB board to get balanced XLR outputs from an old powerbook I use to play music on, it works great and sounds impressive.

However, occasionally, sometimes 2 times a day, sometimes not for a month, the sound in one channel becomes loaded with static. Just a general white noise at the same volume and mixed with whatever is playing. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with being plugged in/out because it can happen while music is playing and nothing about the setup is being touched.

The power supply to the LCPS is a mascot brand, pretty decent quality, and I've tried swapping that with no success.

Any ideas what it could be? When the noise starts I can unplug everything, wait 10 seconds, replug it all in and it sounds great again... Any tips as to what it could be would be very welcome!

Thanks, Tomas
MrMajestic  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:06:38 AM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have a similar problem, but more frequent. I lose quality in one channel, white noise like you. It will go away if I jiggle the digital coax cable. The spdif receiver will probably resync when I do that, thats why it goes away. Im pretty sure its a ground loop in my case, so check that first.

PS. Nice to see a fellow swede :)

Edited by user Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:09:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:13:46 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
It would be helpful to see a picture of how you have your boards laid out for specific advice. Generally this is caused by clock noise on the I2S lines getting into either the power supply lines or the analog outputs (less likely). It can usually be cured by changing the I2S wire routing.
MrMajestic  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2008 1:44:37 PM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I solved my problem. It was a cable running from the ballsie that was not screwed in tightly.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed