Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

4 Pages«<234
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
thomaspf  
#61 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 12:30:16 AM(UTC)
thomaspf

Groups: Member

As soon as the DAC locks onto 192Khz I get noise in the speakers. Music plays normally but when there is silence and I crank up the volume there is a good level of background noise. With the volumite the backgroud is completely silent.

Your setup is using a 3.3V converter? I have the converters but did not use them after your suggestion they might not be needed for the ESS9018. Could that be the culprit?

Cheers

Thomas
washout  
#62 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 4:34:42 AM(UTC)
washout

192K playing OK here also, with 3.3v conveter.
Russ White  
#63 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 7:19:33 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
That sort of noise almost always is either and issue with the source or wiring from the source. You have to be very careful when routing for high sample rates.

I am not sure why glt's firmware would behave differently from mine if it does.

Edited by user Monday, January 24, 2011 7:22:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thomaspf  
#64 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 10:04:20 AM(UTC)
thomaspf

Russ White wrote:
That sort of noise almost always is either and issue with the source or wiring from the source. You have to be very careful when routing for high sample rates.

I am not sure why glt's firmware would behave differently from mine if it does.

The only thing that is changing is the i2c connection to the Buffalo board. No other changes at all.

I guess I will try the converters next. I bought them but then did not use them. In parallel I will start talking to ESS to get access to the data sheet.

Thanks

Thomas
glt  
#65 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 10:18:02 AM(UTC)
glt

thomaspf wrote:

As soon as the DAC locks onto 192Khz I get noise in the speakers. Music plays normally but when there is silence and I crank up the volume there is a good level of background noise. With the volumite the backgroud is completely silent.

Your setup is using a 3.3V converter? I have the converters but did not use them after your suggestion they might not be needed for the ESS9018. Could that be the culprit?

Cheers

Thomas

Can you describe the noise? is it like white noise or hum? Also, when you say "silence" is that quiet passages or no sound between tracks?
thomaspf  
#66 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 11:53:14 AM(UTC)
thomaspf

I can do better. I will do a recording of the noise tonight and can send it to you.

It starts making the noise as soon as the DAC locks onto 192Khz. When music is playing you can't really hear it but between tracks and when no music is playing from the sound card and I crank up the volume it is loud enough to record it.

That is one of the beautiful things about the Buffalo. It normally has no audible noise floor. My Lavry DA10 has noise issues very similar to the Arduino solution.

If you send me a PM with your email I get you the WAV file tonight. Btw. Great job on the HIFIduino. Having that info compiled in an orderly way really helps.

Cheers

Thomas
glt  
#67 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 1:40:00 PM(UTC)
glt

Try moving the Arduino/LCD away from the DAC. LCDs can generate noise...
thomaspf  
#68 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 11:27:35 PM(UTC)
thomaspf

With the feedback from glt and Russ I looked for other problems in my build. The problem turned out to be a connection between the gound pin of the Placid driving the Buffalo and the ground of the LCDPS I use to drive the Arduino and the other digital boards. Below are two photos of how the result now looks like. I had chosen the case to accomodate an AC1 and a USB board so it all fits nicely. The shield on top of the Arduino is a Screwshield from Sparkfun.

Cheers

Thomas

Photos: Arduino

Edited by user Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:37:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GordonJ  
#69 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2011 4:16:58 AM(UTC)
GordonJ

This could be a stupid question and I know this thread has mainly focused on more sophisticated solutions but I'm looking for the simplest way to get remote control of a volumite. I can't find a motorised pot that's a direct equivalent of the one supplied, and I'm not sure how critical the impedance of the pot is, but would it work to use a 10k linear stereo pot and wire the two channels in parallel?
glt  
#70 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2011 2:06:19 PM(UTC)
glt

If your goal is 5K linear pot, then that will work...
steinholien  
#71 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2011 3:26:03 PM(UTC)
steinholien

The impedance doesn't have to be 5K. Any linear pot 5K to 20K should work. Could probably be even higher. (All according to Russ .)
GordonJ  
#72 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2011 3:40:00 PM(UTC)
GordonJ

Thanks guys - I know the impedance question was obvious but I always wonder if I might be missing something. Also useful to know the range that will work, presumably without any disadvantages. So as soon as the BII's are available again...
ronpod  
#73 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2011 6:54:10 AM(UTC)
ronpod

I have been enjoying my Arduino controlled B2 (HiFiDUINO by glt) together with a Squeezebox Touch for 8 or 9 months now. I can control the B2 volume with the IR romote (Apple) and control the SBT to select music choice with laptop computer or smartphone.

Can a Bluetooth module be connected to the Arduino board to enable volume control from laptop or smartphone? The Bluetooth module could be placed in a separate box with a plug in jack to B2 enclosure to reduce noise. (Maybe this is a bad idea.) The result would provide control of the Arduino enhanced features of the HiFiDUINO enabled B2 from computer or phone.

What do you think? Has any of you tried this?
glt  
#74 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2011 11:36:34 PM(UTC)
glt

I've been toying with the idea of adding the ethernet shield to Arduino and control the DAC from a web browser. However, nothing beats the simplicity and feel of the Apple remote :-). Thus I feel any other implementation would be more cumbersome.

More appealing is using the teensy (http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/) because it can be programmed to be any type of USB device. So I could specify the teensy to be a usb keyboard and then send keyboard commands (through the Apple remote) to do simple control of iTunes (for example next song, previous song).
Rss Feed  Atom Feed