Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
ullus  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:22:25 PM(UTC)
ullus

Groups: Member

Hi,

I'm about to order an Opus DAC + S/PDIF Combo Kit/Set.

1. Having 3 sources with spdif output, is it possible to use Darwin to select between the spdif sources?

2. I also have 2 sources with toslink optical output. When will the off-board TORX connector, you mention on the Opus page, be available?
In order to connect 2 toslink sources to the receiver board, I'd need two TORX, right? - and the resulting spdif could then also be switched e.g. with Darwin?

3. One of the toslink sources is a DAT recorder.
Having all inputs (all spdif) switchable, I need to connect the recorder input via toslink to the source selector output. This requires a spdif-to-toslink converter for digital recording? is such a device, lets call it XROT or TOTX, available somewhere? - and is this conversion loss-less?

4. does the use of Darwin make sense in this setup - sound quality wise?
I assume (hope) that spdif signals are not (or much less) problematic as conventional audio-signals. right?

Thanks!

best,
ullus

Edited by user Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:28:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:33:29 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
1.) It should work fine, though you might want to change the 100K resistors to something else (will get back to you with a value), or maybe eliminate them. I can probably provide them in place of the regular ones.

2.) Not sure when, but it's pretty simple. The S/PDIF out could also be switched.

3.) Some Torx are receivers, some are transceivers. I think (again, will confirm and get back to you) that simply using the transceiver version is all that's needed.

4.) Should be fine.

Also, with the new receiver board using the Wolfson WM8804 chip, there will be an S/PDIF output, which you could use to feed your DAT, which will include the WM8804's jitter reduction.
ullus  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:41:44 PM(UTC)
ullus

> Also, with the new receiver board using the Wolfson WM8804 chip, there will be an S/PDIF output,

was this receiver board already announced at TP? (can't find it on the Opus page.)
Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:49:51 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Not yet. I'll be updating the page soon though.
wadsbrau  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2007 10:38:05 AM(UTC)
wadsbrau

Brian Donegan wrote:
1.) It should work fine, though you might want to change the 100K resistors to something else (will get back to you with a value), or maybe eliminate them. I can probably provide them in place of the regular ones.

2.) Not sure when, but it's pretty simple. The S/PDIF out could also be switched.

3.) Some Torx are receivers, some are transceivers. I think (again, will confirm and get back to you) that simply using the transceiver version is all that's needed.

4.) Should be fine.

Also, with the new receiver board using the Wolfson WM8804 chip, there will be an S/PDIF output, which you could use to feed your DAT, which will include the WM8804's jitter reduction.

New reciever board? Will this be a s/pdif board?

Darren
Brian Donegan  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2007 10:48:36 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Russ has mentioned it on DIYAudio, but we have officially announced it yet.

It is an S/PDIF receiver using the Wolfson WM8804 instead of the Cirrus Logic CS8416. It will have a few more features, such as I2S IN and S/PDIF OUT. This will allow for several options, such as daisy chaining, DSP processing of the I2S before sending it to the Opus (or other DAC), and the like.

I promise, more will be announced soon.

wadsbrau  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2007 2:56:10 PM(UTC)
wadsbrau

Brian Donegan wrote:
Russ has mentioned it on DIYAudio, but we have officially announced it yet.

It is an S/PDIF receiver using the Wolfson WM8804 instead of the Cirrus Logic CS8416. It will have a few more features, such as I2S IN and S/PDIF OUT. This will allow for several options, such as daisy chaining, DSP processing of the I2S before sending it to the Opus (or other DAC), and the like.

I promise, more will be announced soon.

I got an email from Wolfson about that chip. Looks like it might be something good. Dern it, I just bought the current S/pdif reciever.

Darren
Rss Feed  Atom Feed