Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark Briggs  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:47:47 PM(UTC)
Mark Briggs

Groups: Member

I had my dac up and running great and I do mean wonderful, such a nice machine. Opusx2, Metro, IvyIII, USB, SPDIF, Placid duel, Pacidx2, LCDPS. But then after about three weeks the SPDIF 8804 stopped working? All it plays now is static clicking noise. I have it powered by the LCDPS, the receiver and the metro share half of the LCDPS, and the other half of the supply delivers 12v to my IR relay receiver. The LCDPS uses one 9x9 trany. The Metro/SPDIF side uses one secondary of the 9x9 for its 7.5V, the other side of the LCDPS uses both secondaries wired in series for the 12 V side, by simultaneously using the trany in series and one side as independent did I kill the SPDIF? I wired it like this, one side of the LCPDS was powered by the red and black from the trany, then I added the trany's yellow to the red and placed a jumper from those two to one terminal one the other side of the supply and then the orange on the last terminal. This way I was able to use the transformer as both a 9v and an 18. and thus regulating it all down to 7.5 and 12. everything worked well nothing got terribly hot nor had any sort of voltage issues I could find so I connected them to the load. As I say it worked well for about three weeks but now I have no signal lock. Non audio lights green when there is no signal, TRANS_ERR and UNLOCK light green when I give it a signal. It used to grab a signal instantly now it just gives noise when I give it a signal, but if there is no signal then there is no noise. I have made no adjustments to anything since I got it up and running. I have some low signal relays in the mix as well but if I bypass them and put a signal directly to the SPDIF no change, just noise. and no signal loc.

That was Yesterday but today it works fine, Ground loop? Dirty power? ........... who knows, I am not complaining. I like the dac, and when it quite it was a minor emergency. Like taking away my red crayon. Russ you did a great job and have allowed me to sit and enjoy music like never before, also I liked the experience of building the dac, Thank you so much for sharing you talents.

Thank you
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, October 22, 2010 5:04:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mark Briggs attached the following image(s):
IMG_00033.jpg (67kb) downloaded 54 time(s).
IMG_00044.jpg (42kb) downloaded 54 time(s).
IMG_00055.jpg (81kb) downloaded 58 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed