Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
DQ828  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:26:55 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
From what I have read people are very divided about Lukasz Frikus, all I can say is that he is the reason I have come here, and the reason I intend to buy TP products. I am as I said in my last (first) post, a complete beginner. I stumbled on Lukasz's site some months back & have since built a pair of his P17 & applied one of his valve output stages to a cheap Chinese Zero Dac & I am hooked, by the way the speakers sound great, except a dodgy ebay seller sold me some suss 15" Altec Bass Drivers, there ok a lower levels but turn it up to my sons listening levels, and its not so good. They cost a fortune to ship from the US to Australia. The Saba mids sound fantastic, the tweeter I'm still not completley sure about.

Lukasz can be a very hard road to follow especially for a beginner, but he has got me hooked on DIY and know I want to build another DAc using TP products but applying the tube/valve output stage. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you are only too aware, he wasn't kind in the last part of his post on your latest buffalo(or was it a previous product, comprehensive information is not his specialty, but at least he warns you about that) He still has your DAC as number one though.

I will be using a Squeezebox as the transport, to the DAC/Tube Output Stage (TOPS) & then either straight to an amp or via a Preamp.

I desperately need help to get me there, my questions are.

Does the latest Buffalo have in built opamps, or can I come straight out of the Dac to the TOPS?

What else would you recommend I buy to go along with the Buffalo?

I assume it would be a very good idea to buy your Placid power supply?

Any other positive feedback/advice would be more than welcome.

Even though I am running a Kingrex TU20 Amp, I have been captivated buy the valve/tube thing, I love the old world feel of it all & the general warmth of it. Dont get me wrong I'm not comparing, I have never heard a valve amp, one day.

david
kesgreen  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:06:40 AM(UTC)
kesgreen

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It's nice that you like the valves/tubes, but I personally don't believe they are necessary for the best audio reproduction. In fact I believe them to be inferior (yes, I know what Fikus has to say on the matter!). Personally, I think Fikus is slightly un-hinged but if he inspires you to get creative then it's all good.

Having said that, I'm a biochemist not an electronic engineer but I like to think I can sort what from chaff. Most of what I have learned has been from the diyaudio website and from my gurus Russ and Brian (whose opinions and knowledge I trust) and from Siegfied Linkwitz (whose Pluto speakers I have built) whose reputation speaks for itself.

Happy building.
DQ828  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:25:12 PM(UTC)
DQ828

kesgreen wrote:
It's nice that you like the valves/tubes, but I personally don't believe they are necessary for the best audio reproduction. In fact I believe them to be inferior (yes, I know what Fikus has to say on the matter!). Personally, I think Fikus is slightly un-hinged but if he inspires you to get creative then it's all good.

Having said that, I'm a biochemist not an electronic engineer but I like to think I can sort what from chaff. Most of what I have learned has been from the diyaudio website and from my gurus Russ and Brian (whose opinions and knowledge I trust) and from Siegfied Linkwitz (whose Pluto speakers I have built) whose reputation speaks for itself.

Happy building.

I too am in awe of Siegfield Linkwitz, but unfortunately his teachings are beyond my budget, as a biochemist I imagine they are not beyond yours. I also believe he (Lukasz) is a bit unhinged, that is a part of his appeal. As I said I wasn't doing any comparison. what best etc, Just letting you know who I was & what I was after.

So can you help me at all? with my questions. Once again I imagine as a Biochemist & a follower of Brian & Russ you would have the knowledge I need.

David
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:33:56 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
The Buffalo-II has no (zero nada zip) built in output stage. You can use it directly into almost any type output stage, so long as you understand how that output stage works.

I would Suggest a Placid and Buffalo II, along with a Volumite.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:17:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DQ828  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:28:48 PM(UTC)
DQ828

Russ White wrote:
The Buffalo-II has no (zero nada zip) built in output stage. You can use it directly into almost any type output stage, so long as you understand how that output stage works.

Cheers!
Russ

Thank you, Russ, I understand very little, but I am learning, I will place an order when I get home.

david
DQ828  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:43:43 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Well I was too slow by the time I got home the Buffalo's where sold out, next batch I guess.
DQ828  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:31:57 PM(UTC)
DQ828

DQ828 wrote:
Russ White wrote:

Cheers!
Russ

Russ

If I am going to run the Dac into a Preamp or straight to an amp, why would you recommend I install the Volumite? What is the advantage?

With the Dual Mono, I assume this system requires that you have two power amps, one for each channel?
LeonvB  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 10:19:41 AM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Quote:
If I am going to run the Dac into a Preamp or straight to an amp, why would you recommend I install the Volumite? What is the advantage?

The volumite uses the digital volume control of the DAC. It's a very good system, as it offers very tight matching between the 2 outputs and very low distortion. When using it, you no longer need a preamp, just a power amp.

Quote:
With the Dual Mono, I assume this system requires that you have two power amps, one for each channel?

Altough 2 mono blocks would be nice, it is not required. In a dual mono setup, each of the boards handles a single channel. So you use all of the 8 DACs in the ESS chip to handle a single (left or right) output. This further increases performance, but obviously you need extra parts: 1 DAC board, 1 output stage, 1 PSU, 1 15V transformer.
DQ828  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 7:57:23 PM(UTC)
DQ828

Thank you, learning all of the time.
DQ828  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:44:44 PM(UTC)
DQ828

Russ White wrote:

Cheers!
Russ

I assume I need a S/PDIF or Toslink reciever to go with the Buffulo?
LeonvB  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 12:31:32 AM(UTC)
LeonvB

Only for Toslink, you can hook up 1 SPDIF or 1 I2S input to the DAC board. There's a switch on the board to select the active input.
DQ828  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 1:22:49 AM(UTC)
DQ828

LeonvB wrote:
Only for Toslink, you can hook up 1 SPDIF or 1 I2S input to the DAC board. There's a switch on the board to select the active input.

Thanks again, now all I have to do is wait for the buffalo's to be available.
LeonvB  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:06:17 AM(UTC)
LeonvB

You may get lucky, I've just canceled one BII. From the looks of it it might take a while before more batches can be manufactured due to lack of clock modules.
DQ828  
#14 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 3:35:32 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Russ

Are thier any Buffalo's available given that Leon cancelled one? PLEASE
DQ828  
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 1:09:35 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Well after all of the reading I have done I am convinced, the Ivy output stage is the way to go, especially after the trouble Iv'e had with my venture into valve/tubes. All I need now is the Buffalo's to be back on the prairie, the waiting's killing me.

David
Dingo  
#16 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 1:57:32 AM(UTC)
Dingo

David,

That leaves you plenty of time to decide on the casework. Always (almost) the trickiest part of diy. Anxious
DQ828  
#17 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2010 5:59:57 AM(UTC)
DQ828

I was thinking about making the casework out of timber. Given that the various components are usually grounded to the chassis, what would be the best approach for a timber case, maybe ground them onto a copper rail?
LeonvB  
#18 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2010 10:42:42 AM(UTC)
LeonvB

I thought about that, but decided to use a Hifi2000 case instead. In any case I'd use aluminium for the bottom: it's cheaper, easier to obtain and good enough in terms of conductivity.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed