Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
too_tall_kiwi  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 1:12:53 PM(UTC)
too_tall_kiwi

Groups: Member

Hi all,

I am currently on the hunt for a good DAC/preamp, and of the commercial offerings, nothing really stacks up for reasonable money ( true analog volume control, true analog inputs, and a _good_ DAC section, preferably in one box.

Cyrus make the DAC XP+, but this is getting a bit older in the tooth now, and while the analog side of it appears to be considered at reference level, the DAC is showing its age now. Bel canto make some nice DAC's but the analog side is either non existent, or it goes through A/D conversion. Not what I want to be seeing.

So this has lead me to this Twisted Pear Audio website.

Is it feasible, and practical, to build a preamp using a Buffalo 2 DAC, Darwin input selector ( 2 of, one for the analog side, and one to switch between various SPDIF inputs ) IVY linestage driver, and maybe an OTTO 2:1 ( for HT bypass duties ) with appropriate power supplies and using a custom controller which will allow me full remote control of the unit? Would probably throw a couple of Toslink adapters in there, and maybe a USB one ( although might wait till a 24/192 offering is available for that? )

I have a mostly DIY system - the only non DIY part is the source ( Squeezebox Touch, Pioneer DVD 969AVI, satellite decoder box, HTPC ) and power amps.

The speakers are made up of Focal drivers - 2x 33WX bass drivers in reflex enclosure, 2x Focal 5K4311(?) mids in transmission line enclosures, and a AudioM tweeter, all in a line source array. My amplifiers are either NZ made Perreaux 350P's ( factory customized, these run the bass drivers, putting about 700w into each driver ) and the mids and tweeters are powered by DIY 250W monoblocks, one for tweeter and one for the pair of mids. Crossover duties are by DIY mono pair of Linkwitz Riley, outboard PSU, at 200Hz and 2Khz ( 24dB )

I currently have a NZ made HFA valve preamp ( stunning, but no remote control, which in my situation is not very suitable ) and a Xindak DAC 8 D/A unit. This is okish.

All up, its a pretty stunning system.

Anyway, between myself and an Electrician/tech friend, I was wondering just how well a "preamp/DAC" made of these components would perform? And what suggestions would people make to maximize its performance? Is it going to be comparable to the likes of say, the Cyrus DAC XP+ ( for those of you who know of it! ) or maybe a Bel Canto DAC 3.5?

I did search the forum for "building a preamp" but it didn't show me any results which were relevant, but if someone else has asked this before, please point me to the thread :)

Many thanks in advance!
too_tall_kiwi attached the following image(s):
hifi.jpg (21kb) downloaded 432 time(s).
mid high.jpg (55kb) downloaded 431 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
LeonvB  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 2:37:32 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
That would be quite a bit of work, but it's definately feasible.

In this case I'd hook up a controller board using I2C to both the DAC and a Joshua Tree controller. That way you could set the volume in the digital domain using the DAC, and in the analog domain using the Joshua tree.
Input and output switching could be done with the new MRB1 module. It replaces the Darwin and OTTO.
Maximizing the performance is done by adding Trident regulator modules to the DAC board, and using a Placid for fi. a Mux unit (digital input switching) plus a Placid BP for the IVY3/Legato2. A good idea would be to use LCDPS for the DAC board, esp. if you want to go for a dual mono DAC.
A new USB module will be available, likely next year.
The IR receiver would be connected to the controller board, which sets both volume controls. Also the controller needs to switch between analog and digital domains, and between several inputs. So you would need to carefully program all of the presets into the board and make sure the board has enough I/O to hook everything up. The programming will likely be most of the work.
too_tall_kiwi  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 6:13:24 PM(UTC)
too_tall_kiwi

Thanks for the reply.

The work side of it is not the issue - I am probably the fussy, perfectionist type when it comes to audio, however I am not really up to speed on design/build work to this level, but my friend who is the tech is the one who is very knowledgeable and capable - so it would be a joint effort. He has a controller ( Auduino) which he has used to control all sorts of gear before. Its capable of doing what we need comfortably. So unless the I2C controllers are more cost effective, or there is a genuine reason to prefer that over a self programed option, we would probably go with that.

Now my questions!

Are there links to the MRB1 module's?

Is it more complicated to switch SPDIF based digital inputs that using some relays as in the Darwin?

Why would you suggest that I would want to do digital domain volume control? Is it better to use the Buffalo to control the digital source volume and the Joshua Tree to control the analog volume?

Our initial concept was ( I hope the formatting stays intact - edit. It didnt, lets try it differently. )

Coax and Toslink inputs, selected via a darwin type ( probably 4 input ) selector.
Feeding into a buffalo DAC.
The output from the DAC goes to another darwin type input selector, this one also "collecting" the analog inputs ( probably another 4 source setup, the digital, 3 analog inputs ). This then feeds an Ivy3.
The Ivy feeds out to an Otto2:1, the purpose of the Otto is to achieve the HT bypass abilities ( although maybe the controller could do this using an analog input set to a fixed gain? )

Or do you suggest a different concept, and if so, why would you suggest differently? Is it to reduce the amount of relays? ( I am not 100% on that concept - indeed, I suspect the Auduino might be able to utilize an analog input for HT bypass, with fixed gain, via a trigger, which still goes through the IVY3 and negates the need for the Otto. More simple, and cheaper to boot :)

Now my last question.

This will probably cost me in excess of $2K NZ, about $1K for the Twisted pear gear, about $1K for a case, connectors, hookup wire, etc. Is this going to perform to the level of the Bel Canto DAC's, Wyred4Sound DACs, Cyrus, etc?
Or am I better to spend $4K-$6Kish on a factory made variant?

Edited by user Tuesday, December 7, 2010 6:21:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

too_tall_kiwi  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 6:25:45 PM(UTC)
too_tall_kiwi

As far as the switching goes ( unless the digital switching is more complicated than I realized ) my friend is quite capable of building a switching device based on the Omron G6K relays - he can print/etch his own boards, so we can make the tracks as complicated ( or simple ) as we need. However, sometimes trying to save $50 - $100 and DIYing is far less time/cost effective than buying a tried and tested ready made module ( Darwin in this case )
LeonvB  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2010 1:09:41 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Quote:
So unless the I2C controllers are more cost effective

Of course they are more cost effective, at the very least for the DAC board. It's just a port you need at the Arduino board. The digital control of the DAC chip is VERY effective, and offers things like smooth increase and decrease of volume, almost perfect channel balance, etc. If you use an Arduino board the cost consists of just the wiring to the DAC board, so not using it is kind of silly.
Running a second I2C controlled attenuator for the analog part will give you a simple user interface for controlling the level of both the analog and digital inputs, while you could also achieve things like similar sound levels on all inputs (it just takes programming different profiles for each input). Just make sure the addresses on the I2C bus are unique so you can program the 2 independently.

MRB1 is not ready yet, so no links that I know of. Also no price.

The Mux unit can be controlled using an Arduino board. It also has a separate receiver, so you could use that one for the SPDIF reception and move it to the DAC using I2S. This combined with a set of relays allows you to switch between different I2S sources on the DAC board. You'll propably want to use I2S as the interface for the new USB receiver, as it will be limited to 24/192 when using the SPDIF interface.

Question is: do you really need an I/V stage in the analog section? In most cases an analog pre can be limited to input selection and attenuation. The answer will determine how you hook things up.

About the performance level: this is a hard one to answer. My system is different, it's now all DIY (DAC, Amp, wires, speakers) so it's basicly uncomparable to anything else. The performance of my system is extremely high. But I'm using a more expensive dual mono setup. I think it'll compare quite nicely against just about anything. Could one improve it? Propably. What would that cost? A lot more, and esp. when factory built. I've listened to systems costing at least 12 times the price I paid, and I'm still satisfied. IMO The markup in high end audio is a lot more than a factor of 2.
too_tall_kiwi  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:27:14 PM(UTC)
too_tall_kiwi

LeonvB wrote:
Quote:
So unless the I2C controllers are more cost effective

Of course they are more cost effective, at the very least for the DAC board. It's just a port you need at the Arduino board. The digital control of the DAC chip is VERY effective, and offers things like smooth increase and decrease of volume, almost perfect channel balance, etc. If you use an Arduino board the cost consists of just the wiring to the DAC board, so not using it is kind of silly.
Running a second I2C controlled attenuator for the analog part will give you a simple user interface for controlling the level of both the analog and digital inputs, while you could also achieve things like similar sound levels on all inputs (it just takes programming different profiles for each input). Just make sure the addresses on the I2C bus are unique so you can program the 2 independently.

MRB1 is not ready yet, so no links that I know of. Also no price.

The Mux unit can be controlled using an Arduino board. It also has a separate receiver, so you could use that one for the SPDIF reception and move it to the DAC using I2S. This combined with a set of relays allows you to switch between different I2S sources on the DAC board. You'll propably want to use I2S as the interface for the new USB receiver, as it will be limited to 24/192 when using the SPDIF interface.

Question is: do you really need an I/V stage in the analog section? In most cases an analog pre can be limited to input selection and attenuation. The answer will determine how you hook things up.

About the performance level: this is a hard one to answer. My system is different, it's now all DIY (DAC, Amp, wires, speakers) so it's basicly uncomparable to anything else. The performance of my system is extremely high. But I'm using a more expensive dual mono setup. I think it'll compare quite nicely against just about anything. Could one improve it? Propably. What would that cost? A lot more, and esp. when factory built. I've listened to systems costing at least 12 times the price I paid, and I'm still satisfied. IMO The markup in high end audio is a lot more than a factor of 2.

This is great advice thanks!

So your suggesting that I dont need to put the IVY in - This effectively turns the analog side into a passive preamp correct? I know that passive preamps can be exceptionally good, however, they can also lead to impedance mismatches, the inability to get enough gain from lowish level sources, and also just to get plain high SPL's if desired. Or, is the output from most analog devices sufficiently high for driving direct into the crossovers ( now thats a difficult question as I am not actually 100% sure what input sensitivity those crossovers are, nor what impedance they are! )

So what your suggesting is that I send all the various SPDIF signals to a mux board, and the output from the mux board then goes to a from of digital input switching "section" which switches I2S, and the USB input is also switched via this section ( and I guess leaving an I2S input spare for future use would be wise too ). This then feeds the buffalo 2. From the buffalo 2, the signal goes direct to the analog input switching section, and the finally, out via the attenuator?

this leaves it more simple ( cant be a bad thing! ) and more cost effective, however I still have a bit of concern that maybe there could be insufficient output to drive the crossovers. I guess that it would be a simple fix to add a line stage between the analog switching section and the attenuator should I chose to do so. I have abandoned the idea of a direct HT bypass, it can just be on an analog input, and the Arduino can be set to always go to a 0dB attenuation on that input if I want it.

When you say your using a dual mono setup, are you meaning dual mono DAC's? And I dont see ( or am I blind? ) anything about the MUX unit on the TP website - or is this not a TP product? Any links?

I am hoping that one of the Twisted Pear designers/builders might chime in at some point. I am getting rather keen on this concept.

Edit : I AM blind, and have now found the mux kit. My mistake sorry!

Edited by user Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:29:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:33:09 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
The IVY is really an I/V stage, and in this case you would want it (or a Legato) directly coupled to the Buffalo. If you chose to use an active line stage for the preamp section, I would feed that from the IVY outputs.
too_tall_kiwi  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:19:30 PM(UTC)
too_tall_kiwi

Brian Donegan wrote:
The IVY is really an I/V stage, and in this case you would want it (or a Legato) directly coupled to the Buffalo. If you chose to use an active line stage for the preamp section, I would feed that from the IVY outputs.

So, ( sorry if I am sounding thick, but I am a learner here ! ) your suggestion is that I DO need an IVY, but I have mistaken slightly its function - it is not a line stage driver? The Buffalo literature states that its either a current output or voltage output. My understanding now is that this is not suitable for feeding to a poweramp or in my situation, the crossovers?

What would your suggestion be as far as components and basic configuration, having read what I am wanting to build?

I have seriously been thinking of getting a valve line stage built, but thats not for my level of abilities yet!.

Appreciate your time and help Brian, and also yours, LeonvB

LeonvB  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 11:23:51 AM(UTC)
LeonvB

Quote:
So your suggesting that I dont need to put the IVY in

No, I'm telling you it's not in it's place in the analog section. It's an I/V stage, and should be coupled to the DAC board like Brian suggests. The output of the IVY can be coupled to the power amp directly, provided you use digital volume control in the DAC board. Otherwise it'll get loud.
Quote:
This effectively turns the analog side into a passive preamp correct?

That is correct. Most current CE sources already have a signal level that doesn't need a line stage, it just needs to be attenuated. I can't tell you if this is the case for you, you'll have to test it. The output level can be matched up to a certain level as you have the ability to change the attenuation for each input. When you want a signal switch, the arduino board should disable the output, set the attenuation level using I2C, select the right input selection and then enable the output. For simplicity you could simply use the Joshua tree to attenuate all inputs, but I'd try the digital attenuation on the DAC board too. After all it's just a couple of relays you need to add if you want to separate things.

Quote:
When you say your using a dual mono setup, are you meaning dual mono DAC's? And I dont see ( or am I blind? ) anything about the MUX unit on the TP website - or is this not a TP product? Any links?

Yes, I mean dual mono DACs: 2 DAC boards, 2 I/V stages, 2 Placid BPs, in my case 2 Placids, 2 Trident kits, 1 Mux.
The Mux is here: http://www.twistedpearau...m/digital/cs8416mux.aspx
too_tall_kiwi  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 12:26:14 PM(UTC)
too_tall_kiwi

LeonvB wrote:
Quote:
So your suggesting that I dont need to put the IVY in

No, I'm telling you it's not in it's place in the analog section. It's an I/V stage, and should be coupled to the DAC board like Brian suggests. The output of the IVY can be coupled to the power amp directly, provided you use digital volume control in the DAC board. Otherwise it'll get loud.
Quote:
This effectively turns the analog side into a passive preamp correct?

That is correct. Most current CE sources already have a signal level that doesn't need a line stage, it just needs to be attenuated. I can't tell you if this is the case for you, you'll have to test it. The output level can be matched up to a certain level as you have the ability to change the attenuation for each input. When you want a signal switch, the arduino board should disable the output, set the attenuation level using I2C, select the right input selection and then enable the output. For simplicity you could simply use the Joshua tree to attenuate all inputs, but I'd try the digital attenuation on the DAC board too. After all it's just a couple of relays you need to add if you want to separate things.

Quote:

Yes, I mean dual mono DACs: 2 DAC boards, 2 I/V stages, 2 Placid BPs, in my case 2 Placids, 2 Trident kits, 1 Mux.
The Mux is here: http://www.twistedpearau...m/digital/cs8416mux.aspx

Right, thanks. I had misread the description of the IVY somewhat - and assumed it could do I/V _or_ be a line stage driver.

So creating a passive preamp is potentially an ideal solution. My other sources are all fairly modern gear, and _should_ have reasonable output drive abilities - but that may be assuming too much!. The processor of course will have this, as I will be using the preamp outputs. The phono stage concerns me a little - but I may be able to increase its gain sufficiently. At the moment ( and to be honest, I cant see any new analog devices in my future ) thats all I need for the analog input side. The IVY will of course have sufficient output drive to only be attenuated.

I was planning on using a Joshua tree attenuator on the analog outputs - and this was initially going to be used to do the volume control for the Buffalo too, but I can easily enough set the Arduino to do either/or - it has almost limitless I/O capabilities for this application, and I believe it uses I2C as its control protocol also.

Speaking of which, the Twisted Pear audio controller is not linked to - its listed, but no link. Is there anywhere I can find information on it please?

Thanks once again!

Geoff
LeonvB  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 2:59:19 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Quote:
The phono stage concerns me a little

That one depends on the cartridge used. Put it right after one of the analog inputs.
The AC1/femto has been listed for years, but we're still waiting for it. See the audio controller forum for some information about it.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed