Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
wadsbrau  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 2:24:06 PM(UTC)
wadsbrau

Groups: Member

I am using the spdif receiver in a "cd-player using a computer cd-rom drive" project. Soon I will be having an external spdif input with some sort of switch to go between the 2.
In the mean time I need to connect the cd-rom to the Spdif receiver. On the back of a cd-rom drive is a port to plug in a flat 2 conductor plug (these used to come with dvd-rom drives). You may be familiar with the one for analog out of cd-roms that has 4 conductors. This uses the same wire.

I am looking for the best way (sonically) to connect the cd-rom to the Sdif receiver.
Can I use the connector I described above?
Can I use the thin 2 conductor wire that is attached now?

Is there a better method? Solder directly to the posts (very difficult)? Use a different cable? Which cable?
Is length of the wire important?

Really, after describing the situation, I am looking for the best (proper way) to connect the cd-rom drive to the receiver. And the proper cable to use to connect the Spdif input (for exteranl device) to the Spdif receiver?

What would YOU do?

Thank you

Darren

Edited by user Monday, February 11, 2008 2:25:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 2:46:29 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I think there are a lot of ways to do this, but me?

I would hack the end off the 2-conductor cable that you have and put the ends in the s/pdif terminal block and be done with it. For the coax input, you can use either some coax or some small gauge wire (twisted). I pair from a cat-5 cable would work great if it is handy. If it's not too long, you could use just about anything. I used some 24ga PVC wire in mine.

Is tis the "right" way to do it, technically, probably not. But, it works great.

My motto - "C is for cookie..."
wadsbrau  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 3:22:40 PM(UTC)
wadsbrau

Brian Donegan wrote:
I think there are a lot of ways to do this, but me?

I would hack the end off the 2-conductor cable that you have and put the ends in the s/pdif terminal block and be done with it. For the coax input, you can use either some coax or some small gauge wire (twisted). I pair from a cat-5 cable would work great if it is handy. If it's not too long, you could use just about anything. I used some 24ga PVC wire in mine.

Is tis the "right" way to do it, technically, probably not. But, it works great.

My motto - "C is for cookie..."

I am just concerned with jitter. But, If I look at it technically, the information being transmitted through Spdif is merely digital information. What would be better for that than cat5? The longest distance we are talking about is 6 inches.

Do you agree? That shielded coax cable is not needed?

You also recc. to use cat 5 for the DAC to XLR ports connection, right?

Also, you suggested on the other forum that since I will have 3 spdif inputs eventually, that I should use a Darwin to switch the sources. I asked a ? but didnt get a reply. Is there any sonic quality degridation by using all spdif instead of I2S? Or are they just merely different methods of transporting data?

Does it matter which way I solder the chokes on the LCPS? Do you have any assembly pics? I am going to solder that 2night.

Thanks Brian

Darren
Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 4:37:04 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
There may be valid arguments for using shielded coax, but I don't and it works fine. That's all I can really say on that.

I used cat5 but re-twisted for three conductor, pretty easy. I just got some two conductor coax that I will use in my next build. Balanced signals are pretty immune from noise (that's the point) so they are very forgiving.

I haven;t personally used the darwin for spdif switching, but should work fine.

The only issue really with s/pdif instead of i2s is transitions between formats. If you have I2S, it's better to stay I2S then to switch to spdif then back. If you have spdif, stay spdif, and convert once. Just try to keep the conversions to a minimum. spdif is also better over distances, such as between components.

Choke direction does not matter.

Some build pics. They are in order in the folder. Someday I will finish the guide...

http://www.twistedpearau...cs/LCPS%20Build%20Guide/

wadsbrau  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 5:02:02 PM(UTC)
wadsbrau

Those pictures are different from teh LCPS that I have. I was mainly concerned with the chokes. Everything on the board has lables. Its just like paint by numbers.

I will have the Spdif from the cd-rom, the external, and (when you get them in) a usb receiver. Which you told me has Spdif out. I would like to be able to use a single momentary button to switch between spdif. Your OTTO board is what I would need only for 3:1 ad 2 conductor. As far as DIY I understand how a relay works, but what circuit would I need (for 5v input) to switch between them?

Thank you,

Darren
Rss Feed  Atom Feed