Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
stephen1212b  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 12:12:30 AM(UTC)
stephen1212b

Groups: Member

This may have been asked but searching for output impedance gave no results. What is the output impedance of each polarity + and - of each channel L and R of the Buffalo II? I am going to use a D1 style current to voltage converter and am trying to determine the proper value capacitor? Thanks.
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:59:36 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
It's in the manual: 195R.

FYI, Legato is already a D1 style I/V stage (common base amplifier) but it has much more transconductance (which is what you want) because it is using a BJT/FET Sziklai pair or "compound transistor". It also does not need very high voltage to get the best results.
stephen1212b  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 2:41:27 PM(UTC)
stephen1212b

Groups: Member

Thank you. I am so used to searching on line I hadn't even considered the manual. I have a Legato rev 1. It sounds great and I appreciate the moderate power rails and lower heat. I am building up a simpler D1 with heat syncs to listen to different active devices, as suggested by Nelson Pass each has a unique signature that is clearly revealed in this simple circuit. Thank you for designing the DAC so that it can be so easily interchanged with various current to voltage converters. I look forward to the Legato two and will purchase one when available. Learning by comparative listening is just as rewarding as simply having the best DAC possible, unfortunately is is leading to owning quite a few different configurations. Ahhh the price of fun.
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 5:36:04 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Yes I too have tried a single FET (actually many different FETs) at all sorts of rail voltages. There is no harm in that. That kind of experimentation is what in fact drove me to improve on that arrangement. You just simply cannot get the input impedance as low as I like it with a single device. Low enough? Well sure, but I have found even an ohm or two can have a noticeable effect. Still it will sound excellent, and most of all please have fun!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed