Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lunar07  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:03:23 AM(UTC)
Lunar07

Groups: Member

I have a question about the type of pins I should use with this module (for the GND, SPDIF, VCC connections)
Can I use pins of the type you see on PC motherboards (pin-outs) or does this module use a different type?
Thanks,
Maan
Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:20:37 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I assume you mean in place of the terminal block. Not quite user what you mean by motherboard pins (there are a few type on there). The spacing of the pads is 5mm, so you could either find 5 or 5.08mm headers or use .1" (2.54mm) headers and remove every other pin.
Lunar07  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:28:29 AM(UTC)
Lunar07

I plan on using the module with following:
I have a PC PCI sound card that accepts SPDIF IN and it has three pin-outs: Ground, SPDIF-I, and a +12V pinout. So the plan is to connect these pin-outs to the corresponding ones on the toslink module. The pins I am talking about are 0.1" pitch terminals. So the toslink module accepts 0.1" pitch terminals? Female or male?
Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:01:39 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Quote:
So the toslink module accepts 0.1" pitch terminals?

No, it accepts 5mm pitch terminals.

You could just cut the end off the cable you have and wire it into the terminal block.

Edited by user Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:19:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lunar07  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:32:01 PM(UTC)
Lunar07

Thanks Brian -
This is my first project ever at installing digital audio components. So forgive me if following question seems silly :)
I assume that the module has the 'regular' consumer style toslink cable connection on it, so we can use a regular toslink cable for the input?

Also, a nice improvement on the module is to add an RCA-style connection on it (in addition to optical toslink) to allow using an RCA coax cable for the audio input.

Edited by user Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:33:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:40:16 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

It is a Toshiba connector (the TOS in Toslink).

The module output S/PDIF, which is the same as the coax, so there is really no much point in having one as an input.
Lunar07  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:59:38 PM(UTC)
Lunar07

Brian Donegan wrote:

The module output S/PDIF, which is the same as the coax, so there is really no much point in having one as an input.

I understand, but while the main function here is for optical toslink input, there are occasions when one would like to just pass the S/PDIF signal from another device via an RCA coax using the module out into the S/PDIF receiver. So a coax RCA connection would make it more practical and compact. Just an idea though! Because one can always connect the two wires of a coax to the output of the unit.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed