Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jazid  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2020 10:17:41 AM(UTC)
Jazid

Groups: Member

Hi all,
Well after many years of working perfectly I decided to put my highly deserving B111 in a case (yes I know but other projects 'got in the way'). All good, sounds fab on red book material but now I have an issue on 96k material. It plays music with pops and snaps, occasionally with dropouts. For the record I am utterly useless at digital stuff so please go gently...

My system is computer - usb - halide bridge - DEQX 3.0 - AES/EBU - B111 - amp

The DEQX runs 24/96 and allows me to control which clock is used on output (internal, external, or auto). On auto it defaults to the B111 and if I set this, or if I set it for external clock, the sample rate indicated is 243k rather than the 96k going in. I assume this is wrong? If it set the DEQX for internal clock then it works at 96k but there are still sometimes cracks and pops, it seems track dependent. Any advice please? Attached in a snap of the B111 in its case and the DEQX control panel.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Edit: As of today the unit seems to be registering the correct sample rate on the DEQX control board, but still the pops and spits remain. I have removed it from the system as music is effectively unlistenable. I can confirm that the DEQX outputs the music without issue so the problem lies between it and the Buffalo 111. Unfortunately I prefer the Buffalo so I would love to be able to remedy the issue, however it is completely outside my know-how. Any guidance gratefully received Angel

Edited by user Saturday, August 8, 2020 4:44:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2020 7:31:26 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
What is that ribbon cable?
Jazid  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2020 7:44:49 PM(UTC)
Jazid

Hi Brian,
It's the cable I was sent in the kit IIRC, it just connects THE SPDIF level control to the main board, all other wires are unterminated...
Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2020 2:20:40 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Here's a few things to try:

• Remove GND connection from AES/EBU input to the chassis ground (keep it isolated).
  • Eliminate the extra wires in the ribbon cable. Those extra leads can act like an antenna connected to the remaining input pins in the connector.
thanks 1 user thanked Brian Donegan for this useful post.
Jazid on 8/15/2020(UTC)
Jazid  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2020 4:53:52 PM(UTC)
Jazid

Thanks for the tips Brian,
I've done both of those things and it helps maybe a little, but not much. What seems to help is, when the snaps and pops start up, I can eliminate them for at least the duration of the track by unplugging the AES/EBU cable and then simply re-inserting it. Wiggling it or doing anything else with it seems to make no difference. I don't know if that gives you any clues?

Strangely the external clock is now showing 382500Hz sample rate (which it also showed when there was no music playing). Should the DEQX default to the TP external clock or should it stay with its own which is presumably synch'ed to the Halide Bridge (please do remember I know nothing about digital stuff)?

Using the DEQX internal clock doesn't remove the pops from the B111, unplugging and re-plugging the AES/EBU connector does, but not perfect, they come back after a while or next track/album.

It feels like something has gone awry inside the Buffalo DAC as a result of me sticking it in a case...What can I have done? It never had the RCA outs earthed before boxing up, so I'll remove that connection and see if it helps but I'm just shooting in the dark here! EDIT: OK, done that and better but nowhere near correct. I can also now remove the clicks and pops by switching from internal to external clock in DEQX from whatever it was set to and the pops disappear for a few tracks, then come back. Groan.

Any help gratefully received!

Edited by user Sunday, August 16, 2020 4:22:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: adding information.

Jazid  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2020 1:57:50 PM(UTC)
Jazid

I've found the fault. It was the AES/EBU cable. In desperation I made one up with Van Damme 110 ohm digi cable and the issue disappeared - auto switches between internal and external and shows the right sampling rates, no pops and snaps. Who would have thought a 1m length of cable could cause all that aggro? No idea why it worked before putting the B111 in its case but whatever - fixed is good. Hope this may help others if they find themselves in the same situation in the future.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed