Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
rowli  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2018 9:51:36 PM(UTC)
rowli

Groups: Member
Sweden

Hi,
I have problem with Amanero-Hermes-Cronus-Buffalo-IIIsePro38, no signal lock.
Post at diyaudio

I continued troubleshooting:

Changed SW1 P1 to ON, and tried the spdif input with a dvd player. Then DAC locks and I can play music :)

So problem seems to be Cronos/Amanero board. I have them stacked on top of each other and D1, D2 and DCK with U.FL wires to Buffalo board.

I have now also reset and update Amanero with Slave_For_1080 and config bits as in http://www.diyaudio.com/...amanero-post4282628.html
Same as Before. Amanero found by HqPlayer and track plays, but lock LED not light up.
Question, should Prescaler at Amanero be MCLK/1 as in picture in diyaudio link or MCLK/2 if have two clocks on Cronos? I have it like in the Picture MCLK/1.

I have checked R1-R7 mounted on the Cronos board, and I measure 30 ohm where D1, D2 and DCK end up at Buffalo board.

I have measured that Cronos/Amanero board take 200mA from my 5V powersupply (can handle 350mA).

More ideas what to try?

Here is a picture
Cronos

Edited by user Sunday, March 25, 2018 7:03:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2018 9:57:10 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
You want the div2 on the cronus side - no prescaler on the amanero.
rowli  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 12:06:43 AM(UTC)
rowli

Sweden

Hi Russ,
"no prescaler on the amanero", is that MCLK/1? It's a radiobutton, so can't unselect all under Prescaler in Configuration bits.
"div2 on the cronus side", is that J1:2 on Cronus?
If correct, then I have these settings, but no lock at DAC.

regards
Micke
rowli  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 4:33:38 PM(UTC)
rowli

Sweden

Since DAC works with Spfif. I concentrate on Amanero/Cronos board. Tried the following today

- Reflashed Amanero again. No difference.
- I have two sets of cronos (lost DAC package arrived, will send one back, talked to Brian about that). Anyway, tried another set of Rhea Pair from that. No difference.
- I have one powersupply for Amanero/Cronos, one for DAC, and one for each AVCC. I now tried a on/off switch for DAC power supply. Main switch then start Amanero/Cronos + AVCC supplices. Then after a while I started the one suppling DAC. MUTE LED blink once at startup. But then same result, no light on "LOCK LED".
- I use a streamer (microrendu) at Amanero input. So ethernet to that. Hqplayer find Amanero as usual and start playing track when pressing play, but no lock on DAC.
I now tried play direct from my computer with a long (10m usb cable) that I used to flash amanero card with. WASAPI finds amanero. But when pressing play, nothing happend/player unresponsive. Will verify with a laptop and short usb cable tomorrow and see what happens.

Any more suggestions? If nothing work is it worth trying the Cronos board I was planing to send back? But then I have to solder on it and buy that too.

regards Micke

Edited by user Sunday, March 25, 2018 6:52:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rowli  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 6:50:56 PM(UTC)
rowli

Sweden

I tried with a laptop and a short usb cable. Itunes find Amanero and track are playing, but no lock/sound.
Dunno what else to try now.

/ Micke
Russ White  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 10:33:00 PM(UTC)
Russ White

I would just methodically check all solder joints and double check your wiring.

You could also try running Amanero direct (master mode).
rowli  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2018 7:52:16 PM(UTC)
rowli

Sweden

Hi Ross,
I have now reflashed Amanero and tried it direct to Buffalo board. That works. DAC locks and I can play music :)

I then reflashed Amanero again with
CPLD Firmware = "Slave_For_1080"
CPU Firmware = "firmware_1096c
and config as in
http://www.diyaudio.com/...amanero.html#post4282628

Inspect every solder joints on the Cronus/Hermes Board, and solder at all through-hole pads again.
Replaced my three U.FL Connection wires with new ones.

I verify that I have 5V (4.99V) at input on Cronos board.

Same result. Player starts playing track OK, but no lock on DAC.

Can it be some problem with the Cronos board? As I have tried change the Rhea Pair with no success.

But dunno what else to try. The plan is to send my extra Cronos Board (and extra Buffalo board) back to you. Should I try solder components on the extra Cronus board, and if it works then I send the faulty one back to you so you can inspect. If same problem with the extra Cronos board, I skip send that back, and pay for that board too.

regards
Micke
rowli  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2018 2:32:47 PM(UTC)
rowli

Sweden

Hi Ross,
I have continued with the troubleshooting.

I started measure at the Hermes board, and then saw that I have 4.1V at Hermes "3.3V Input" from the Cronus Board.
I then disconnect Hermes and only measure the Cronos board.

If I lower the voltage from 5V to 4V on Cronus Input, the pin with 4.1V going to Hermes board also gets lower voltage, so something wrong with regulator I thought.
I checked every solderjoint again on the Cronus, found nothing.
I then gave up and assembled my second Cronos board and Rhea Board. Connect a Laboratory 5V DC Powersupply. I see that Cronos use 150mA, but still 4.1V at pin to Hermes "3.3V Input". E.g same as the other Cronos board. Really strange.

Then I discovered if I remove both Rhea boards, regulator seems OK. Then I have 3.3V. And if I change Cronus Input from 5.0 to 5.3, still 3.3V.
But as soon I connect a Rhea board, regulator seems to stop working and I get 4.1V.
Dunno what the problem can be. Same on both Cronos/Rhea boards.

Picture with some measurements
Cronos Troubleshooting

regards Micke
Russ White  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 7:24:44 PM(UTC)
Russ White

That is what I would suspect - is that one of the Rhea may have a short. You could try just using one or the other. The music will play even if the clock is fast or slow (it will just sound fast or slow)
rowli  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 7:35:54 PM(UTC)
rowli

Sweden

Hi Russ,
I can try again, but I'm almost sure that I tried following:
Cronos Bord 1: No Rhea 3.3V. If I connect any Rhea or both I get 4.1V out. But not sure, I might just have tried one of the Rheas by themself and not the other.
But strange thing, I get same scenario on Cronos board 2 with another sets of Rheas, so in that case at least two Rhea must have a short.
But I will try and get back to you.

regards Micke
rowli  
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2018 11:59:24 AM(UTC)
rowli

Sweden

Hi Russ,
I now tried to connect my four Rhea boards one at a time. As soon as I connect one of them the output voltage change from stable 3.3V to around 4.1V (depending on input voltage). Same on both cronos boards.

/ Micke
Brian Donegan  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 8:24:46 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Not sure what is happening, but I know it's not a short on the Rhea modules. They are all hand built and tested with a scope before shipping.

Do you have a different power supply you can try with the Cronus?

Edited by user Monday, April 9, 2018 8:26:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rowli  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 11:58:03 PM(UTC)
rowli

Sweden

Hi Brian,
I have tried with three different power supplies. Same results.
Inspect Cronus boards again, but can't find anything suspicious. And not so much soldering by me. Same on both Cronus boards.
IMG_2589.JPG (272kb) downloaded 13 time(s).

rowli  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:06:16 PM(UTC)
rowli

Sweden

Hi guys,
I have not found the problem with my recklocker cards. Strange that I have the same problem with two Cronus and four Rhea’s. Do you have any more ideas where I can troubleshoot?

I'm very excited to get them started when I read about your "pure sync" experiment on diyaudio :)

PS: I have the extra Buffalo kit (lost package showed up) that I'm going to send back to you. What is the adress to send package to?
If you don't have any more suggestions I also sent both Cronos/Rhea back so you can take a look. And If I did something wrong I will pay for the extra Cronos that I now soldered on.

Ps: thanks for a great product. Sound is great even without reclocking.

regards
Mikael Karlsson
Rss Feed  Atom Feed