Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Possum  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 10:01:10 PM(UTC)
Possum

Groups: Member
Australia

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
First tried to get this Amanero/Cronus working 2 years ago without success. Gave up and tossed it in a draw. Didn't have a scope at the time.

Putting a scope on it recently I could see that there was no BCLK going to the DAC - bad soldering joint on the potato flipflop. I resoldered every single IC joint for good measure.

However, the sound was still sometimes distorted/glitchy. This appears to be dependent upon the power up sequence. If the Amanero is powered up (i.e.: connected to my computer) before the cronus/hermes is powered up, then the sound is distorted. If I unplug the amanero and reconnect it to the USB then its fixed.

Obviously this is less than ideal. Is this expected? Is there some way around this?
MartinC700  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 1:46:22 AM(UTC)
MartinC700

Originally Posted by: Possum Go to Quoted Post
First tried to get this Amanero/Cronus working 2 years ago without success. Gave up and tossed it in a draw. Didn't have a scope at the time.

Putting a scope on it recently I could see that there was no BCLK going to the DAC - bad soldering joint on the potato flipflop. I resoldered every single IC joint for good measure.

However, the sound was still sometimes distorted/glitchy. This appears to be dependent upon the power up sequence. If the Amanero is powered up (i.e.: connected to my computer) before the cronus/hermes is powered up, then the sound is distorted. If I unplug the amanero and reconnect it to the USB then its fixed.

Obviously this is less than ideal. Is this expected? Is there some way around this?

I'm having issues also with the Amanero/Cronus combo. I put a scope on the Cronus and like you, nothing on the DCK output at all (D1 and D2 had digital outputs).

I'll try resoldering the flip flop chip as well, if that doesn't work I am out of ideas!

Possum  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 5:33:39 AM(UTC)
Possum

Australia

You can check pin 1 of the input header on the cronus to see if it is getting DCLK - if it is then the potato flipflop is the likely culprit
MartinC700  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 6:46:20 AM(UTC)
MartinC700

I checked the chip pin vs the trace and if I recall correctly the second pin in wasn't showing contact with the associated trace. I'll check the input headers to the Cronus tomorrow before re-soldering. many thanks for the advice.
Possum  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 7:55:37 AM(UTC)
Possum

Australia

Yup - That was my problem too (second-last pin on the flipflop - i.e.: second from bottom left)
MartinC700  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 4:21:56 PM(UTC)
MartinC700

Resoldered the flipflop (how I hate surface mount stuff) and now we have music, it was fortuitous that your post appeared as I was suffering the same issue.

Again, thanks for the pointers - Happy New Year.

Possum  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 10:01:41 PM(UTC)
Possum

Australia

Happy NY to you also. Glad to hear you finally have music!

Now the amanero is working, do you have the same issue if the amanero is powered up before the cronus?
MartinC700  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 6:15:51 AM(UTC)
MartinC700

No issue here, seems fine regardless of the sequence of powering up. Not sure what the issue would be, perhaps another dodgy joint on the Cronus?

Rss Feed  Atom Feed