Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
MWL168  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 2:32:47 PM(UTC)
MWL168

Groups: Member
United States

Hi Russ:

As you suggested, I am moving my issue with Cronus problem to the TPS Support Forum.

As I have stated, my Buffalo II has been working fine with SPDIF input since I built it in 2011. I could not get it to work with Cronus/Hermes/Rhea/Amanero setup I just built yesterday. I set the B II SPDIF switch to off and jumper the J1:2 header on the Cronus and power the Cronus with the same Placid HD that power the B II.

I did make a dumb mistake and soldered the Rhea clocks (45MHz and 49 MHz) direct on the Cronus board which I may try to rectify once I got it working. I was very careful when I soldered them so I hope I did not damage them in the process.

I believe I heard the B II clicked a couple of times this morning but still no locking. Here are some photos:

Cronus All Boards.JPG (175kb) downloaded 42 time(s).

Edited by user Thursday, October 27, 2016 1:35:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MWL168  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 2:41:54 PM(UTC)
MWL168

United States

2016_05_29-EOS 7D-4400.JPG (155kb) downloaded 47 time(s).Another photo:

Edited by user Sunday, May 29, 2016 2:44:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 6:15:17 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Did you wire GND to the DAC from the Cronus?
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 6:17:19 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Also (no offence meant) but did you remember to switch the DAC SPDIF selector off?
Russ White  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 6:18:39 PM(UTC)
Russ White

I would also suggest installing the lock and mute LEDs on the DAC so you can see those conditions.
MWL168  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 7:06:59 PM(UTC)
MWL168

United States

Hi Russ:

Yes, I did switch the SPDIF switch to "OFF" (it's marked on my Buffalo as "1" - I had it at "ON" before).

I did not connect the ground wire as I use the same Placid HD that powers the Buffalo to power the Cronus - I read in this case the ground need not be connected between the Cronus and Buffalo.

I tried just using the Amanero alone as you suggested but it would not lock either. This is how I connect the two:

Amanero BCLK - B II DCK
Amanero FSCLK - B II D1
Amanero Data - B II D2
Amanero GND - B II GND

I am using a Mac BookPro with OS X 10.7.5. Is there anything I need to configure on my Mac?

Thanks!
Russ White  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 8:21:25 PM(UTC)
Russ White

You would have to change Amanero firmware back to master mode for that to work. :) But it's not a bad idea.
MWL168  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 8:32:39 PM(UTC)
MWL168

United States

I did just try connect the ground wire, together with DCK, D1 and D2, between the Cronus and the Buffalo. It still won't lock.

I also installed the Mute and Lock LED's.

My goal, of course, is to get the Cronus to work with the Buffalo II. What do you suggest I try next? Also, how do I change the Amanero firmware back to master and how do I change it back to slave later? I read that Brian primed the firmware before he shipped the boards out.

Sorry for these ignorant questions, I am a DIY hobbyist and lack engineering knowledge especially with the digital.
Russ White  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 1:32:39 PM(UTC)
Russ White

The cronus is really not the focus here as much as the Amanero for now.

I would need to know if the amanero is getting it's master clock signal - and if the resulting audio signals are making it back to the DAC.

If you play music through the Amanero device does it show progress?

Edited by user Monday, May 30, 2016 1:33:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MWL168  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 1:53:35 PM(UTC)
MWL168

United States

Are there some test points on the Amanero I can measure with my DMM and report back?

Also, I read on the forums that there are different ways of connecting the Amanero to BII. For I2S output, is the following correct?

Thanks!

Amanero BCLK - B II DCK
Amanero FSCLK - B II D1
Amanero Data - B II D2
Amanero GND - B II GND
Russ White  
#11 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 3:44:23 PM(UTC)
Russ White

If you play music through the amanero in slave mode (with cronus of course)does it show progress through the music?

Unfortunately - there is not really any way to test with a DMM except for continuity - what you would need is an oscilloscope.

You could check for the presence wordclock etc.

Yes - that is how you would wire an Amanero direct.

You would need to flash it with the master firmware first though.
MWL168  
#12 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 9:03:06 PM(UTC)
MWL168

United States

When I play music through the Cronus/Amanero combo it does show progress through the music. But the B II stays at Mute state. Here are two screen shots I took. Do you see anything out of order?

I am trying to figure out how to check the Amanero firmware versions with my Mac.

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 4.04.21 PM.png (93kb) downloaded 16 time(s). Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 3.32.42 PM.png (195kb) downloaded 13 time(s).

Edited by user Monday, May 30, 2016 9:05:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MWL168  
#13 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 11:42:41 PM(UTC)
MWL168

United States

Quick update; I installed the Amanero driver 1.0.57 on a Windows laptop running Windows 7. The laptop recognizes the Amanero I tried playing a video on youtube and direct the digital music output to Amanero but still no lock on my Buffalo II. I also downloaded the Config Tool from Amanero's website hoping to check the Amanero's firmware version but when I click the Config Tool icon on the desktop it appears to be hung - running non-stop but does not bring up an application.
MWL168  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2016 3:06:26 AM(UTC)
MWL168

United States

Hi Russ:

I was able to install the correct Amanero Config Tool on my Windows laptop and, following the steps in the readme file erase and flashed the firmware and re-installed the CPLD firmware (Salve_for_1080) and CPU firmware (firmware_1096c3w2) successfully. I then went into the Configuration bits and configured the Amanero based on what you posted at the DIYAUDIO thread. However, the Amanero/Hermes/Cronus still would not lock. I tried both the PC I used for the firmware refresh and the MacBook Pro. Both stayed in the Mute state and won't lock.

There are a couple of things that are out of ordinary (at least not what I expected). When I connect the Amanero back to the laptop and launch the Config Tool, the Firmware Programming tab always shows CPLD_for_1080 for the CPLD firmware and the Configuration bits tab always revert back to the setting where the Salve Mode is unchecked and Pin 11 clock selector Map has "Mute" checked. More than once I update them and click on "Write Flash" and I would see the message "Flash Updated!" but if I close the Config Tool and reopen it again it would go back to its old state with Slave Mode unchecked and Pin 11 at Mute. Did I do something wrong or out of order?

Thanks!
MWL168  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2016 4:25:24 AM(UTC)
MWL168

United States

Hi Russ:

I made some progress!

Realizing I am still not providing the crucial information you have been asking for, I flashed the firmware of the Amanero again. This time I used the "CPLD_for_1080" for the CPLD firmware and use the same firmware_1096c3w2 for CPU firmware. I left the Configuration bits at its default settings.

I connected it to the B II and my MacBook Pro and it's locking and playing music as I type. I tried both 44.1KHz and 48 KHz family up to 192KHz (highest rez music I haev) from my iTune and they all play flawlessly to my ears. Switching between different format was totally smooth, no clicking nor popping. And it sounds really good too. I cannot wait to have the whole Cronus/Hermes/Rhea added to it.

So what should be my next step?

Have to go to bed now - have to go to work tomorrow and I have not had much sleep in the last few days :-)

Thanks!
MWL168  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2016 6:03:41 PM(UTC)
MWL168

United States

If I was not clear in my last post - I only got the Amanero alone in master mode to work with the B II. I am still not able to get the complete Amanero/Hermes/Cronus/Rhea package to work with the B II.

Also, am I correct that the Config Tool I downloaded in Amanero's oem_tool_117 zip file only allows one to install/update CPLD and CPU firmware and set the configuration bit. It does not show the existing firmware version and configuration of the connected device?

Any help or information is much appreciated.
Russ White  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2016 7:41:49 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Excellent! OK well let me make sure I am on the same page.

First - we can be sure the Amanero is working. that is great news.

Also it seems it was getting a master clock while you had it in slave mode or you would not have seen any progress when playing music.

Now the thing to do is to carefully inspect the Cronus and Hermes boards for dry joints around on the IC legs (can happen occasionally) and other solder joints. Especially look around the Potato flip flop chip.

Then re-flash the Amanero firmware to slave mode as I showed in the Hermes-Amanero thread.

If you are still having issues you can contact me and I will take a look at your combo personally.
MWL168  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2016 8:07:34 PM(UTC)
MWL168

United States

Thanks Russ.

Originally Posted by: Russ White Go to Quoted Post

Also it seems it was getting a master clock while you had it in slave mode or you would not have seen any progress when playing music.

To make sure I understand what you are saying above; I can always see the progress of the music playing in iTune when I connected the Amanero/Hermes/Cronus to by B II even though the B II would not lock to the incoming signal. If I unplug the USB cord from my Mac, the music would continue to play but through the built-in speakers on the Mac. I assume you meant this indicates the Amanero is getting a master clock in slave mode?

I will do a close inspection of the boards including my own solder joints tonight and report back my finding.

Russ White  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:33:56 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Yes if you had the Amanero in slave mode and it was not getting a master clock signal from the Hermes/Cronus it would not show progress playing through most apps including iTunes. That means that the master clock part of the chain is working. :)
MWL168  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2016 12:30:40 AM(UTC)
MWL168

United States

Hi Russ:

I checked both the Cronus and Hermes boards for possible cold solder joints on the Potato chip and other components but did not see anything obvious. I reflowed a few of my own solder joints just to be sure. I then re-flashed the Amanero with correct CPLD and CPU firmware and set the configuration bit to slave mode and all.

I hooked it up to the B II and there is no lock - the Mute LED on the B II stayed on the whole time. I made sure the output is directed to the USB and I could see the music playing in progress.

Sorry I don't have good news to report. What should be the next step?

Thanks!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed