Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
wadsbrau  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 8:08:54 PM(UTC)
wadsbrau

Groups: Member

I recently decided to downsize my system. In the process I dusted off the old OPUS I built in an old HP computer case. I built it with 2 opus in balanced dual differential output configuration. This was a long time ago. I no longer have a balanced system. I have completely forgotten everything I learned about this while building it.
I need to convert the connections to unbalanced RCA. Should I merely get unbalanced male to rca adapters?
Or how do I rewire everything to use rca panel connectors?

Thank you

Edited by user Friday, January 15, 2016 6:57:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

vladimirb0b  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:02:35 PM(UTC)
vladimirb0b

It is not a good idea to use a balanced to unbalanced adapter in this way, as joining the XLR - to GND will put a ton of current from - to GND. Since it is grounded it won't ever reach the right voltage.
What you need to do, if you have it in the case with XLR out only, is to make a cable that has just + and GND and leaves the - hanging. The Opus being a voltage output dac should have no problem with the - hanging AFAIK. Then you just terminate the cable on the amp end with RCA connectors.
Brian Donegan  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:10:02 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Taking +Out and GND is the cheapest/simplest approach, but also the least ideal, as you lose out on differential noise cancellation of high-frequency digital noise, and also have no high-frequency filtering. Depending on your following stages, this may be all you need.

The next step up would be using something like the VentusEZ, which is a proper balanced->SE conversion. This is essentially the same Bal->SE as on the Legato.

After that, you could use an IVY-III to gain filtering as well as bal->se conversion. Again, this is also added cost and complexity, but better resulting sonics.

wadsbrau  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 7:46:32 PM(UTC)
wadsbrau

Originally Posted by: Brian Donegan Go to Quoted Post
Taking +Out and GND is the cheapest/simplest approach, but also the least ideal, as you lose out on differential noise cancellation of high-frequency digital noise, and also have no high-frequency filtering. Depending on your following stages, this may be all you need.

The next step up would be using something like the VentusEZ, which is a proper balanced->SE conversion. This is essentially the same Bal->SE as on the Legato.

After that, you could use an IVY-III to gain filtering as well as bal->se conversion. Again, this is also added cost and complexity, but better resulting sonics.

So Defiantly buy the pair of your VentusEZ to solve the problem? Then I just output from the OPUS DAC to these and these to standard RCA SE Jacks?

Thanks

Darren

Rss Feed  Atom Feed