Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
glt  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2009 12:18:46 AM(UTC)
glt

Groups: Member

I've been listening to the analog output of an old Sony CDROM with a 1-bit DAC and comparing to OPUS 8741 with Metronome at 24/192. Using Sennheiser 580 and iBasso D2 headphone amp. Both the OPUS and CDROM are used single-ended.

Well, after listening to different CDs including some good recording chesky CDs, I am hard pressed to hear any differences (The Opus has probably a 3db higher volume because the sony DAC is spec'ed at 1.75V).

are 1-bit DACs "that good"? In some recordings, the 1-bit DAC seems smoother at the top end.

I can't find any difference in detail (No matter the attention I give to any small detail I hear the same detail on both DACs)
I can't find any difference in tonality (instruments sound exactly the same)
Soundstage (if there is such thing in a headphone) is exactly the same. Instruments don't "move" when switching sources.

So is it my hearing (which compared to other middle aged people I have a pretty good hearing) or is it possible that the 1-bit DAC is indeed a good DAC?

I am connecting the OPUS/Metronome to the PCM output of the CDROM controller chip (similar to I2S) and I am also using the analog output of the CDROM. I am using a little contraption I made to switch between the sources with a toggle switch, so this is an A/B test.

Here is a picture of the CDROM I hacked: http://picasaweb.google....QnD8&feat=directlink
glt  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2009 12:26:14 AM(UTC)
glt

Here is the CDROM Controller/DAC chip: http://picasaweb.google....QnD8&feat=directlink
Brian Donegan  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2009 5:25:54 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
How are you deriving your SE output from the Opus?

Edited by user Friday, February 6, 2009 5:29:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

glt  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2009 8:48:51 AM(UTC)
glt

Hi Brian,

I just take the +V and G (leaving the -V floating
Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2009 9:10:52 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Ok, I think this has a lot to do with your findings. You will gain significantly from utilizing a proper bal->se converter. Namely, cancellation of common-mode distortion. Additionally, you would benefit from filtering high frequency noise from the DAC's outputs.

FWIW: The Sony "1-bit" dacs are Delta-Sigma dacs with a marketing name.
glt  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2009 10:43:39 AM(UTC)
glt

Brian,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll wait for Buffalo for a proper output stage. My amps are balanced, so in the big rig I use the balanced outputs.

According to the literature 1-bi DACS have other benefits and are similar to PWM found in DSD. Maybe that was the precursor to SACD.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed