Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
zhai  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2011 5:59:11 AM(UTC)
zhai

Groups: Member

I've recently purchased the following:

B3 board
Legato 3.1
Placid HD
Placid HD BP
4-channel spdif
sidecar
toslink module

Also, I plan to get a USB module, and I'll probably wait until TPA releases the new USB module.

I'm working on figuring out how to build the thing. I've previously built a DDDAC, a Kookaburra preamp, and a Hypex UcD180st dual mono power amp.

I'm going to start out with everything but the B3 board, I'm currently reading about it and working to understand its features. I have pictures of the rest of the work I've done so far, and it would be great if someone would do a quick check to see if it looks relatively fine.

First off, I have very little idea how to deal with the 2-bit selector. I want to use one of the four positions for USB, and the other 3 for various spdif. I only really have a need for optical toslink, but I figure I might as well use coaxial and AES/EBU so I have as many options as possible.

So how would I do it if I would like the following configuration:

1. USB
2. TOSLINK
3. Coaxial
4. AES/EBU

I'm at a loss about how to do this with wiring etc.

2-bit board
Picture of the 2-bit board, the resistor was the only thing I was sufficiently certain about.

4xspdif
The only thing I haven't placed on this board is the resistors that depend on the type of spdif. I'm also uncertain about how to do this if I want the 1st choice to be USB.

legato
The legato should be finished. Hopefully everything seems ok.

legato
The legato with the bottom side showing, hopefully my guess about the resistors was correct.

placid hd
The placid psu. I didn't know how to identify the positive terminal of the large capacitor? Is it the one that has a bunch of indentations?

placid hd bp
Pretty much the same as above.

sidecar
This one drove me crazy, took a hell of a time soldering the ribbon connectors.

unidentified thing
I have no idea what this is?

Other question:

My Hyped UcD power amp is currently in single-ended configuration, and I'm considering just taking the insides, changing it to balanced, and stuffing it into a new enclosure. Would this be a good enough match for the B3, or would I get a significant advantage by building a new power amp from scratch? And if so, which one? My suspicion is that at this level, it starts becoming more preference than consensus - is this correct?

Thanks in advance to anyone who will give a hand!

Edited by user Monday, October 17, 2011 6:00:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LeonvB  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2011 9:59:49 AM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Quote:
The placid psu. I didn't know how to identify the positive terminal of the large capacitor? Is it the one that has a bunch of indentations?

The positive is on the other side of the negative. The negative on big caps is indicated with a big band on the side, with big minusses in it.

Quote:
unidentified thing
I have no idea what this is?

Those are jumpers (0 ohm resistors) for use on the underside of the BIII.

The UCD modules are a great choice to use with this DAC. I use a dual mono 700HG with it. You could just rewire the inputs to use balanced, or if you want to build a new one: wait for the NCore modules to become available.
zhai  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:17:47 AM(UTC)
zhai

Thanks for the help! The finished modules are:

Buffalo 3
Legato 3.1
Placid HD
Placid BP HD
4x spdif board
sidecar

Unfinished:

2-bit selector board. I'm still very confused about this one.

If I want to have spdif sources as number 2, 3 and 4 on the selector switch, and USB I2S as number one, how should I wire it?

Also, I'm guessing that no matter what, I should just connect the 4xspdif board to the sidecar with ribbon cable, and also ribbon from sidecar to the buffalo, but what about the EXT_IO pins on the buffalo? These should be connected to the 2-bit selector I'm guessing, but how?
LeonvB  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:03:12 AM(UTC)
LeonvB

You should wire the 2 bit selector like described on page 13 of the guide.
Also, if you want to use 1 of the positions for USB you should wire that position of the knob to the switch on the Sidecar module to switch it to the alternative input.
MatthiasP  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:42:43 PM(UTC)
MatthiasP

Hi Leon,

i've the same problems to understand how that works.
Quote:
Also, if you want to use 1 of the positions for USB you should wire that position of the knob to the switch on the Sidecar module to switch it to the alternative input.

So, if I plan to use Nr.1 of the knob, then i take the correct 2 pins from the 2bit-selector-board and connect it with the "trigger" on the sidecar board?
If this isn't totally wrong, what do I've to do with the resistor R1 on the B3-spdif-board? Leave it open?

Thanks for your help!
Matthias

Edited by user Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:43:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

zhai  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:37:12 PM(UTC)
zhai

MatthiasP: That's what I'd like to know too =]

I saw that you figured it out in another thread - how did you end up wiring it? Is it correctly understood that I need to wire it like this:

UserPostedImage

So if I wire it like this, it should switch to the I2S signal when position 1 of the 2bit-switch is selected?

And what about the termination of the 1st position of the 4xspdif board when I'm using position 1 for usb I2S? Should I leave the resistor position open?

Also, I assume that I should just solder the rotary selector to the board at every pin, right?

Would it be a bad idea to wire the single ended outputs on the Legato to both a headphone jack on the front, and to a couple of terminals on the back of the dac? Will this introduce any problems?
toast  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:48:27 PM(UTC)
toast

Zhai,
Look at this http://www.twistedpearau....aspx?g=posts&t=2134
It will explain how you do connection with it.
zhai  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2011 2:43:32 AM(UTC)
zhai

Toast: Thanks for the link, but I have already read that post and I am still unsure about exactly how to do it. My best guess is shown in the picture I posted, and hopefully someone will tell me whether or not that is correct.
MatthiasP  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:29:15 AM(UTC)
MatthiasP

Hi Zhai!

Your got it nearly right, but you have to wire the other hole of the LED to the second photo (i think). Then, it'll work. And yes, i left the resistor on the 4x spdif switch open.

Enjoy your new DAC and greetings to you and your nice country!
Matthias
zhai  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:47:38 AM(UTC)
zhai

Ok, good!

But what about the VD and GND on the sidecar, next to "B", are they completely unnecessary in this situation?
Russ White  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:27:48 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
zhai wrote:
Ok, good!

But what about the VD and GND on the sidecar, next to "B", are they completely unnecessary in this situation?

They are still very necessary and should be connected to a ~5V power supply - same as VD on the DAC.
zhai  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:45:55 AM(UTC)
zhai

Quote:
They are still very necessary and should be connected to a ~5V power supply - same as VD on the DAC.

Ok thanks, would it be a good idea just to run another set of wires from the placid hd output to these 2 terminals?

Also, sorry for a noob question but I can't find a guide on how to connect the transformers to the two power supplies. And I thought the 30VA transformer was for the legato, but I realized that I don't actually know. Could someone tell me what color wire on which transformer goes to what terminal on the power supplies? Or redirect me to other places where this question has been answered before? (I've looked but was unable to find that)

I've got the primary side dealt with, only the secondary side and the power supplies confuse me.
LeonvB  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:31:15 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Without a description of what transformer you are using helping you will be difficult. In general: the Legato is 1:1 connected to output of the Placid BP, and the 15V transformer is connected to the Placid BP. You should have dual secondaries on the transformer, both of which you connect to the input block on the Placid BP.
zhai  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:49:14 PM(UTC)
zhai

I got the connection between Legato and Placid hd bp done. Also between the Placid hd and the BIII.

I have the 2 Avel Lindberg transformers that TPA is selling, the 9V and the 15V. I haven't been able to find a description of the color codes - which wire on the secondary is which?

Both the traonsformers have black, yellow, orange and red wires on the secondary side.

The Placid hd bp has 4 terminals for trafo connection, but I don't know which color goes where.

Also, on the placid hd, there are 2 terminals, both of which are marked with a tilde, so I'm guessing I just have to put 2 wires in each, so the outputs of the 9V trafo run in parallel? Is that correct? And, which wires where?

Edit:

Ok after looking at

http://www.avellindberg.com/pdf/avel_y23_range.pdf

I'm guessing that for the Placid hd and 9V transformer, I have to connect black and orance to each other and to one of the terminals, and red and yellow to each other and to the other terminal. It seems like it doesn't matter which of the terminals I use for which set of wires. That still leaves me confused about the ac terminals on the hd bp though.

Edited by user Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:05:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:31:07 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
You are correct for the Placid. For the Placid BP, just put them in order, Black, Red, Orange, Yellow.
zhai  
#16 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2011 5:23:50 AM(UTC)
zhai

Ok I got the transformers connected.

I've built it on a wooden plate until I get the case from Modushop, it would be great if someone could say if I've made any mistakes (if visible), or anything should be changed before I proceed to testing.

I'm getting fuses and an on/off switch on Monday, and I should be ready to fire it up.

UserPostedImage

Large version: http://www.templar.dk/pi...falo/almostfinished1.jpg

UserPostedImage

Large version: http://www.templar.dk/pi...falo/almostfinished2.jpg

- Does the sidecar need to be powered in order for the signal to just pass through?

- Should I get power for both the toslink module and the sidecar from the output on the placid hd?

Edited by user Saturday, December 17, 2011 5:26:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LeonvB  
#17 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:05:20 AM(UTC)
LeonvB

The sidecar might be pass-through without power, but that's more a question for Russ. You can power it from the Placid HD. The Toslink module requires 5-12V DC, power that one from the Placid HD also.
Brian Donegan  
#18 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:37:56 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
The Sidecar is powered by the ribbon cable, to no need to run external power to it. Since your TOSLINK is close to the Sidecar, you could power it from the Sidecar's external power connections (VD and GND terminals).

When it is not powered (or triggered), it does pass through the S/PDIF signal.
zhai  
#19 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:47:06 AM(UTC)
zhai

A bit earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Quote:
zhai wrote:

Ok, good!

Russ White wrote:

Brian: It seems to me that you and Russ are contradicting each other, otherwise I'm just rather confused?
Russ White  
#20 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2011 4:25:25 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Sorry for the confusion that was my fault. I forgot that you were using the sidecar directly from B3.

Brian is correct. If you have it connected directly to B3 using the ribbon cable there is no need to supply 5V as it is already connected to VD.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed