Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
zhai  
#21 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 7:39:53 AM(UTC)
zhai

Groups: Member

Ok I'm just about getting ready to power up the power supplies, but I'm a bit unsure about the placid hd. I was only able to find a manual for the placid PCB rev 2.0.1, while I have the placid hd v1.0. The link on the product page points to the HD BP manual.

In the 2.0.1 manual, it said that before connecting anything, the resistance of VR1 should be 100 ohm, and VR2 should be around 10K. So I set VR1 to 100, but I could only get VR2 to about 5k before it started getting tight, and stopped going higher. Is this a difference between the different versions of the boards? Is there a manual for placid hd 1.0 somewhere?

For the placid hd bp, I assume that after I power it up (without the legato 3.1 connected), I need to adjust the VR2 until the output voltage is 15V, and adjust the VR1 until the voltage between TP_VIN & TP_CCS is 0.350V. Correct?

What value should I go for between the TP_OUT and TP_SHUNT terminals? And should this be with the legato connected?
LeonvB  
#22 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 11:24:13 AM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
You can ignore the 2.0.1 manual. The Placid HD is half of a Placid HD BP. Just remember it should be adjusted for another output voltage, and more current.
Set the voltage without load, and set the initial CSS current.
Amount of shunt current should be checked with load, this is the fine tuning of your CSS current. 50mA headroom is usually enough.
zhai  
#23 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 1:08:28 PM(UTC)
zhai

Ok I turned the power supplies on, and no smoke :D

I can only get up to 4.97V on the placid hd, though. If I keep turning, the voltage started dropping instead, so it seems like there's a maximum there. I set the CCS to 490 mV (translated to 490mA afaik).

On the bp, I could reach 14.26V on the minus part, and 13.62 on the plus part. This seems a bit low, does it now?

Also, the legato needs about 350mA, is that the total? So that each "rail" needs 175mA? Or is it 350mA on each rail?

Edited by user Monday, December 19, 2011 1:24:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

avr300  
#24 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 1:59:50 PM(UTC)
avr300

Denmark

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 69 post(s)
"Also, the legato needs about 350mA, is that the total? So that each "rail" needs 175mA? Or is it 350mA on each rail? "

That's 350mA on each rail.

If your rails are sagging, you need to feed more current. That's the nature of a shunt regulator.
zhai  
#25 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 2:12:06 PM(UTC)
zhai

Ok, but how exactly do I feed more current? Does it mean that if I can't get the VDC of the placid hd higher than 4.97V, I need to allocate more current through increasing the CCS?
deafbykhorns  
#26 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 2:14:37 PM(UTC)
deafbykhorns

zhai wrote:
Ok, but how exactly do I feed more current? Does it mean that if I can't get the VDC of the placid hd higher than 4.97V, I need to allocate more current through increasing the CCS?

Turn up current with VR1 then readjust voltage
zhai  
#27 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 4:03:57 PM(UTC)
zhai

Yay! I have everything connected now, the placid hd voltage at 5.25v, the bp at 14.90 x2, and the shunt amount is 50 mV all 3 places.

All the diodes on the tridents are lighting up too. The toslink module has 5.25v. The 2bit selector has the 2nd source, the toslink, selected.

But, when I connect a toslink cable to the module and play music, and turn on the power of the dac, the A_MUTE led lights up and there is no music.

Any idea what's wrong, and what to do?

Edit: When I shut off the power, after a few seconds I can hear a "click" which I imagine is a relay. Could it be that the sidecar is active, and blocking the spdif signal? There is a potential between the "B" and "GND" on the sidecar of 1.5V. Should I connect the "B" to something that is 0V when the sidecar is not selected? E.g. if I connected the "B" to the led position 1 of the 2-bit selector switch, would this switch off the sidecar when not selected?

Edit2: Ok I tried connecting a wire from the "B" to the 1st LED position on the 2-bit selector board. The voltage between "B" and gnd is now 0V, but there is still no music, no lock, still A_MUTE lighted.

What to do?

Edit3: Ok I tried taking the sidecar out of the circuit, so that the 4xspdif board is now directly connected to the buffalo board through flat cable. No difference.

Edited by user Monday, December 19, 2011 4:45:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mr. Davis  
#28 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 5:47:16 PM(UTC)
Mr. Davis

Did you select SPDIF OUT to be the default Device?

UserPostedImage
zhai  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:08:23 AM(UTC)
zhai

I'm not using the pc as a source at the moment, but instead my cd player which has an optical out that is always on.

Edit: And it SINGS! :D

I had missed a dip switch setting that made the difference. It sounds very detailed, but maybe a bit harsh/aggressive? Is this a subjective thing, or maybe a general thing followed by it getting softer after it's been through a burn-in period?

Edit2: Ok I listened to some more music, and some of it seems to be significantly more pleasurable to listen to. Seems I need to listen a lot before judging!

Also, a big THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me here! :D

Now I can't wait till I get the ncore...

Edited by user Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:31:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LeonvB  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:48:06 AM(UTC)
LeonvB

First batch of NCores is sold out, you'll have to wait till january.
zhai  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 12:06:30 PM(UTC)
zhai

I know, I got in on the first wave ;)
LeonvB  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:44:46 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

In that case it should arrive soon. NL-DK usually is only a few days, and some days ago the first modules made it to their users over here. Dual ES9018 with NCores should be a killer combination.
zhai  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:35:17 PM(UTC)
zhai

Sounds good!

I'm thinking my credit card won't survive the speakers needed for this combo to reach its full potential...

Speaking of which, what speakers could actually be worthy? And how much simply depends on preference with that level of speakers?
deafbykhorns  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:28:57 PM(UTC)
deafbykhorns

What is the NCore? Or should I ask, this could be a never ending project.....
ed linssen  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:25:26 PM(UTC)
ed linssen

Ncore is the amp-module mentioned in the first posting of this thread! I did put the same question myself. This is not a T.P. device.....
Look here:
===========================================
My Hyped UcD power amp is currently in single-ended configuration, and I'm considering just taking the insides, changing it to balanced, and stuffing it into a new enclosure. Would this be a good enough match for the B3, or would I get a significant advantage by building a new power amp from scratch? And if so, which one? My suspicion is that at this level, it starts becoming more preference than consensus - is this correct?

Thanks in advance to anyone who will give a hand!
============================================
Ed

Edited by user Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:27:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LeonvB  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:03:22 AM(UTC)
LeonvB

Quote:
Speaking of which, what speakers could actually be worthy? And how much simply depends on preference with that level of speakers?

If you choose DIY again it'll be expensive, but IMO not overly so. The individual preference always plays a big role in speaker choice. Unfortunately, for DIY listening beforehand often is a problem.
I personally always like the Focal and top Seas units, plus some of the Scanspeak units. Also fi. the AMT 2510c is an excellent unit. But a speaker is more than just unit choice, it's also about the way it matches with your room.
I'm sure there's plenty of information on the DIY forums about this subject.
zhai  
#37 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 2:53:59 AM(UTC)
zhai

Ok thanks Leon, I think I'm going to see if I can listen to as many different speakers as possible, and see what happens.

A few more questions:

- should I connect the mains GND to the case?

- should I connect the GND on xlr in/out to the case?
- and if so, should the GND on the xlr balanced output be connected both to GND on the legato and to the case?

Btw merry christmas to everyone!!

Edit:

I would like to use Bulgin Vandal blue LED ring switches for both DAC and power amp, but I don't know how to do this in the best way. The switch is not meant for 230V switching, so I am considering using the emb.org epsilon-24 board to provide a way to use the vandal switch.

Is there a better way? Will using this board potentially introduce problems?

Edited by user Friday, December 23, 2011 4:37:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#38 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 7:13:00 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
zhai wrote:

- should I connect the mains GND to the case?

Yes, as close to the power inlet as possible.

zhai wrote:

- should I connect the GND on xlr in/out to the case?

No.

zhai wrote:

- and if so, should the GND on the xlr balanced output be connected both to GND on the legato and to the case?

Just the Legato.
LeonvB  
#39 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 12:13:03 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Quote:
I'm going to see if I can listen to as many different speakers as possible, and see what happens

Great idea, but also look at your room and try to figure out what would be a good match. If you can't get the speakers you want to perform where you want to use them, what good is it all?
And a DIY meet is always a place to start, and I'm sure you've looked at this site: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/
zhai  
#40 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2011 4:37:52 AM(UTC)
zhai

Ok, thanks! Yeah I've seen the site before, but forgotten about it again.

I ran into a bit of a problem with the 2-bit selector switch and the volume potmeter - it seems the diameter of the "turning rods" is slightly above 6mm, maybe 0.2-0.3mm above, so that the standard turn knobs I had for testing, which are exactly 6mm, don't quite fit. Is there an obvious solution to this? Or should I just find some knobs with a larger internal diameter?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed