Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tostaki  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 1:59:49 PM(UTC)
Tostaki

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi,

I am planning a new setup based on Buffalo III SE + Ivy III output stage. The setup will be Dual Mono.

According to the schematics available, I'll need 2 BF3SE boards and 2 Ivy3 boards. Hoever, some questions are still there. A bit of help to clarify all of this is welcome.

To start, I am planning one consumer SPDIF input and one I2S input (WaveIO USB board).

1/ If my understanding is good, I'll have to feed the data signal to both BF3 boards. Does a "star" wiring match the point ?

2/ To switch between SPDIF & I2S, I am planning to manage IP_S jumper through a microcontroler (Arduino). The switch is performed driving a pin low. Which one is it : IP or S ?

3/ The arduino board will drive the inputs using a MCP23008 (the IP_S switch but also some other stuff). Do you advise feeding it with 3.3V or 5V is OK ? (regarding the DAC board)

4/ I'll need one unbalanced RCA output. According to this schematic, the single ended outputs of the Ivy3 are used to build the balanced output. How do I add unbalanced output support ? Is there some schematics somewhere ?

Thank you for your help
Tostaki
Tostaki  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 8:14:41 PM(UTC)
Tostaki

Almost replying to myself but may be usefull to others. Please correct me if I am wrong. However, some more questions raised at the end of this post.

Originally Posted by: Tostaki Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I am planning a new setup based on Buffalo III SE + Ivy III output stage. The setup will be Dual Mono.

According to the schematics available, I'll need 2 BF3SE boards and 2 Ivy3 boards. However, some questions are still there. A bit of help to clarify all of this is welcome.

To start, I am planning one consumer SPDIF input and one I2S input (WaveIO USB board).

1/ If my understanding is good, I'll have to feed the data signal to both BF3 boards. Does a "star" wiring match the point ?

As stated into that post this is possible. However, this will drop the input inpedance with a 2 factor for SPDIF. Alternate solutions are adding a SPDIF to I2S sur as the WM8804 board ahead of the dacs + one Otto II to switch between I2S sources. I2S source is wired in parallel to each dac (no dasy chaining). This remove the need of IP_S jumper driving.

Another solution is using the SPDIF TTL level converter, and output from it to both dacs using a voltage divider. This solves the input impedance issue only.

2/ To switch between SPDIF & I2S, I am planning to manage IP_S jumper through a microcontroler (Arduino). The switch is performed driving a pin low. Which one is it : IP or S ?

The outer pin is the one to drive with propre pull-up or pull down resistor. (see this post). Both DACs must be driven that way.

3/ The arduino board will drive the inputs using a MCP23008 (the IP_S switch but also some other stuff). Do you advise feeding it with 3.3V or 5V is OK ? (regarding the DAC board)

This can be done at 3.3 or 5V as this does not go straight to the DACs. See this post

4/ I'll need one unbalanced RCA output. According to this schematic, the single ended outputs of the Ivy3 are used to build the balanced output. How do I add unbalanced output support ? Is there some schematics somewhere ?

Thank you for your help
Tostaki

The Ventus EZ is one solution. In that case, can I still use in parallel the single ended output and the balanced one ?

Edited by user Friday, May 24, 2013 8:21:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SCompRacer  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 9:06:32 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Ask Russ or Brian if you can use one IVY III in your dual mono build. A single Legato could handle the extra current from a second DAC board, not sure of the IVY.

At first I used two Legato I/V boards with my dual mono build. Reducing to one gave me balanced and SE out back. I would think you could apply the same procedure to a single IVY with dual BIII SE DAC’s if Russ/Brian OK’s it. That is a harness that combines R and L output of each DAC board to the R and L channel input of IVY. Note how polarity changes from outboard channel of each DAC.

http://www.twistedpearau...-Mono-Single-Legato.aspx

I guessed wrong....don't add a resistor between pos and neg of balanced out to reduce output; that is only when using Legato.

Edited by user Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:39:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Russ's post below made my guess incorrect......

Russ White  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:19:23 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Yes you can use a single IVY the same way you use a single Legato, but I would reduce R1-R4 by half. No need for the resistor across the output, the IVY does not work on the same principle - in fact please do not add this, it will just load up the outputs.
Tostaki  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:12:52 AM(UTC)
Tostaki

Thank you for your replies.
As there is no comment on the previous questions, may I consider, I am right?

About the use of a single IVY III for dual mono set up, do I understand well the wiring with the following schematic ?
With such a wiring, I am feeding both balanced & Single Ended outputs ?

Thank you for your help

BF3SE dual moni, single Ivy

Edited by user Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:36:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Misspelling

SCompRacer  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2013 1:25:29 AM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Your drawing is wired correctly. For polarity, your blue line should be red for positive, your red line should be blue for negative. You will have SE out and balanced out this way.

When you set the DAC to dual mono, the inner channels of the individual DAC boards closest to your IVY are in reverse phase. The outer channels of each board farthest from your IVY are in proper phase.

I believe Russ means R1 - R4 (R1 to R4) or R1, R2, R3 and R4 need to be half values.

I'm not sure about the other things you ask as I have BIII's.

Edited by user Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:17:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SCompRacer attached the following image(s):
bf3-dual-one-ivy_revised.jpg (53kb) downloaded 500 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tostaki  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 8:54:39 AM(UTC)
Tostaki

@Russ, @ SCompRacer

Thank you for the replies.

Russ, can you confirm you meant half value for R1/R4 or R1/R2/R3/R4 ?

SCompRacer, I only picked up some random colors when using Gimp to illustrate my understanding. You're right on the classical color scheme.

By the way, to understand better, what's the differences using 2 Ivy boards vs 1 Ivy board on a dual mono setup ?

Edited by user Monday, May 27, 2013 8:56:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: typo

Russ White  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 9:17:46 PM(UTC)
Russ White

R1 through R4. :)

The difference is using one is much simpler to wire, and to power, and it works just as good if not better than using two. :)

Thant and you don't need a separate BAL/SE stage.

Simple is good.
Tostaki  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:12:44 AM(UTC)
Tostaki

Originally Posted by: Russ White Go to Quoted Post
Simple is good.

A way of life ... :)

Thank you !

SCompRacer  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 6:28:19 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Sorry wrong thread.

Edited by user Monday, June 3, 2013 6:29:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tostaki  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:40:49 PM(UTC)
Tostaki

The project is still alive with my firend Tutuclan.
It moved a bit to keep it simple as I am building a Dual Mono, but my friend is builduing a Double Dual Mono on batteries.

The output will be a sowter transformer to make it simplier.
The PSU is one LCDPS feed with a 12V battery

I will feed the DACs with a waveIO board while he will use a Sotm, XMOS based, USB board coupled with a Minishark for Active filtering.
This is a good first step.

We'll keep you posted

PS : the parcel has been received well packed. Thank you Brian for the extra attention.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:46:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tostaki  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:32:11 PM(UTC)
Tostaki

The whole setup is almost done and works (from the first attemps, incredible !)

Thank to Brian and Russ for the high quality kits and LeonVB for the very easy to follow documentation.

Below the photo of the setup (not yet the one, just quick done to playback music)
Cubox (not shown) => WaveIO USB board => 2 Buffalo 3SE => Sowter transformers as output stage

Next step : power through battery and a custom input selector (spdif, optical & usb)
My friend Tutuclan is on the same way but with twice the hardware (bi-amp)

About listening feedback, very smooth and detailed (playback for 2 hours) whatever music style, much more than other DACs I listenned before
-
-
-

Edited by user Wednesday, August 14, 2013 10:58:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: listening feedback

Tostaki attached the following image(s):
IMG_20130814_230312.jpg (191kb) downloaded 98 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Russ White  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:31:18 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Excellent! Glad to hear your good report.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed