Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttnl  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:31:56 PM(UTC)
ttnl

Groups: Member

Hi, I want to build a Buffalo DAC but I can't find any instructions on how to build it. What modules do I need to buy if I want USB, Toslink and coaxial inputs beside the Buffalo module? What else do I need to build this DAC? Please help. I am confused. Thanks.
manaox2  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:20:10 AM(UTC)
manaox2

The Buffalo has both an i2s and spdif reciever on board. So you would want the USB reciever and Toslink modules and and the spdif mux reciever to be able to have all of those used as inputs with a rotary switch to select each input. You also need an analog stage for the original buffalo DAC, so that requires and IVY or counterpoint. The buffalo32 DAC has an IVYII analog stage built-in. You will need an LCDPS and LCBPS (power supplies) with two transformers to power all of the DAC, reciever modules, and analog stage modules. Building the buffalo32 is much simpler then any other DIY DAC i've seen with only a small amount of through the hole soldering for the power supplies and the receiver modules, the wiring, and case work. If this confuses you still, you may wish to pay for an established DIYer to build one for you (not myself).
ttnl  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:40:53 PM(UTC)
ttnl

Thanks so much for clearing up my confusion.
grubyhalo  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:06:43 AM(UTC)
grubyhalo

manaox2 wrote:
...If this confuses you still, you may wish to pay for an established DIYer to build one for you (not myself).

I am in the same boat as the OP. If I need help from a DIYer who's willing to help me out, do I post a request thread in the forum or are there anyone I should contact outright? Thanks.
S Clark  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 7:53:55 PM(UTC)
S Clark

Can we get a simple parts list and instruction sheet to put this Buffalo dac together? I am simply looking for an improvement over what is in my Marantz cd player. Also, if I have to hire this done, approximately what do I need in additional parts and approximately what will labor cost. I have come to realize (a bit late)that I am not going to be out just a couple of hundred buck and that this is a long way from a simple or complete kit.

Scott
manaox2  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2009 9:28:22 AM(UTC)
manaox2

See what AMB's recommendations are for professional builders possibly if your looking for some. I would post on some audio sites as a wanted ad, but be sure to check their reputation some.

While its not a complete kit, you do only really need hookup wire, connectors, knobs, switches, and a case (tools to do the casework of course) if you buy the kits. Not to say that those things are easy to do or cheap though, it can be VERY expensive to get a nice case done and get premium connectors even.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed