Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Possum  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 11:39:29 PM(UTC)
Possum

Groups: Member
Australia

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
It took me the best part of 5 years (incl. the speaker build), but I now have glorious quadraphonic over IP! Each speaker stack is driven by a fully-independent IP networked monoblock that can be configured to process a particular surround sound channel (so any configuration is possible - not just quadraphonic). Ethernet in - low,mid, high speaker amplification for the configured channel out.

UserPostedImage

I was originally using 3 BIIIs per monoblock but upgraded the DAC chips to ES9028/38s after building the first monoblock - which made a noticeable difference (mainly to the midrange). I also modified the design to power the AVCC independently rather than off of VD - another noticeable improvement.

I am using Sympatico amps for the mids and highs and a class-D amp module for the lows.

The unit is Arduino-controlled. The ethernet input is via a MiniDSP AVB dongle feeding 3 channels to the low, mid and high DACs (I am now using a single ES9038 to do the low and high channels and a ES9028 for the mids). An interface card can be plugged into the back of the unit to allow firmware updates (a lot of programming was involved in this build!). You can download the Arduino code library I wrote for the latest chips used in this build from GitHub.

Each monoblock is fed by a DEQX unit (digital eq and xover) that I highly modified to turn it into an AVB in/out networked DSP. The DEQX is fed by a MOTU AVB DSP network device which provides not only the sound interface to the PC, but also a full recording studio mixing capability.

The DEQX offers a 3-way digital xover solution as well as individual speaker driver and overall room correction. The fully-calibrated end result simply has to be heard to be believed, and shows just how good the Buffalo DAC (and other TPA modules) can sound. I am one happy possum!

Edited by user Saturday, September 8, 2018 1:32:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed