Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
gstew  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2018 2:57:53 AM(UTC)
gstew

Groups: Member

I'm slowly getting my Buffalo-IIIPro setups going. Out of an over-abundance of caution, I powered up the IVY that I'm using as my initial active I/V (a Legato comes later) on the ES9028 setup off the DAC board and measured the input and output voltages... all near zero, so I felt ok putting it on the DAC and it is working ok (AND sounding pretty darned good!).

When I did the same with the Mercury for the ES9038 setup, I saw 0V on the outputs, but near or at the 15V rail voltage on the +- input pins. My questions:

1. IS that what I should expect to see with no input? I could see this being the result of the servos not having a valid input and locking up to rail voltage.

2. OR is it an indication of something I did wrong assembling and installing it? I checked and double and triple-checked my power connections before power-up and they measure ok powered on.

3. OR does it require a valid input connection at power-up and I may have just trashed it?

At this point, I'm not willing to plug it into the DAC board and power it up given what I saw. I've already confirmed the ES9038 board is working ok using a transformer output stage I stole from a developmental RPi ES9028Q2M-based board... I can go back to that to continue my incremental checks of the systems AND also focus on the ES9028 setup while I wait for an answer.

So please let me know if I did something wrong setting it up, ruined it by powering it up with no input, or that is what I should expect to seen and I should just plug it in and power it up.

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi

gstew  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2018 12:06:38 AM(UTC)
gstew

Assuming Russ & Brian are overworked or on vacation recovering from overwork.

I did have the thought that terminating the input should allow the input servo to function correctly. Can anyone weigh in on whether it makes sense and would be ok to put a 200R-500R across each input to the input ground connection?

I'm just eager to hear what the Buff-IIPro ES9038 & Mercury can do!

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi
gstew  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 3:08:46 PM(UTC)
gstew

Answered in the DIYAudio Mercury thread... DAC running and sounding great! THANKS BRIAN for the answer & Brian & Russ for the designs!

Greg in Mississippi
Rss Feed  Atom Feed