Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
james.evans@frost.com  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2008 2:47:19 PM(UTC)
james.evans@frost.com

Groups: Member

Following on from the thread earlier, earthing is something I've been wondering about. I've currently got my buffalo in 2 plastic boxes. One houses the ac inputs, 2 transformers and a bipolar rectifier board which is used to power a diy phono stage (also in a plastic box...). The transformer powering this phono stage is also powering the LCBPS for the Ivy. The second transformer powers the LCDPS. Rough connection diagram shown below. Currently nothing is connected to mains earth. When the psu was used solely for the phono stage I had the ground line of the diy bipolar supply connected to earth. When the LCBPS was connected up this generated loud hum, which I assumed was some kind of loop, or other problem. So the earth connection was removed. I'm wondering what I should now connect up to mains earth, where from and to. Grateful for any pointers.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Monday, November 10, 2008 2:54:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

glt  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:43:01 AM(UTC)
glt

There is a good discussion at diyaudio: http://www.diyaudio.com/...1b7e&threadid=115698

But, for safety earth gnd should always be connected to the metal enclosure. You can add a fuse to the transformers and leave the gnds floating.
james.evans@frost.com  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 1:59:44 PM(UTC)
james.evans@frost.com

Thanks, that was a great link. I'm using plastic cases at the moment so I suppose I just leave everything floating.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed