Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dougie085  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:25:12 PM(UTC)
Dougie085

Groups: Member

In the next few months I'm looking to build a DAC with a headphone amp built into the chassis for use with my Desktop computer. I already have an Amenaro USB interface, but with the new DAC options I'm not really sure what works with what now?

So my question is what would be the best setup? This is the first time in quite a while I've had decent headphones and my on-board sound just isn't cutting it. I have the Sennheiser HD 598 CS's.

I just want good solid sound, not looking to mess with DSD or anything right now I mostly use Google Music in high bitrate mode although I do have a pretty substantial offline collection as well.

So basically I'm just wondering what DAC? What headphone amp setup? Should I just go with an Opus setup with a legato? Does the new 9028PRO support the Legato? Can the new Mercury IVY stage specifically designed for the new DAC chips be used as a headamp? I'm just a bit confused by the options at this point lol.

Good chance this DAC will eventually feed my HIFI system when I upgrade my speakers eventually as well, but for now it'll be solely headphone use for my PC, heck I may even build another TPA DAC for the HiFi setup. Maybe a Dual Mono Opus is all I really need with the Legato or even the Ventus EZ modules granted my headphones aren't hard to drive at all.
francolargo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2018 4:59:46 PM(UTC)
francolargo

Groups: Member

Saw this in passing so will chime-in with personal opinions.

Your headphone input impedance is 23 ohms, on the low side. The Legato with the output buffer could certainly handle them, and that is a minimal addition compared to the cost of the Legato without the buffer.

Which DAC? Certainly, the Opus can make lots of good music, though it's glory days are in the past and you should probably include a volume control in the build. The ESS chips will sound better in terms of resolution and seeming life-like. They would represent a future-looking investment.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed