Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
OzOnE  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 5, 2008 2:50:14 PM(UTC)
OzOnE

Groups: Member

Hi, Russ,

(continuing on from "4 ohm" discussion on diyaudio.) There's a bit of a volley of questions here, but might as well get the main ones out of the way....

Are you possibly considering doing an 8-channel Buffalo kit in the future? Or, if I bought a standard Buffalo kit, do you think it would be fairly simple to cut the traces to separate the channels? (my soldering's not bad, as I've done a lot of repair work before and the I2C config won't be a problem as I'll be using a simple PIC at first, then a TI DSP or SHARC dev kit at some point.

Do you possibly have a Buffalo kit available without the Sabre chip itself, and how do get the soldering on your boards to look so nice - do you use a proper reflow oven or a hot-air method?

Would you recommend using further DC protection after the Sympatico's? (Rather be safe than sorry; I'm not totally convinced by the scarily-named "SPIKE" protection!)

I will probably buy an LCDPS and LCBPS kit at some point - how many separate toroids are needed for these, or can at least one of them work from the main amp toroid?

Although I knew that the costs of going multichannel would start to add up, I'm a bit worried about the prospect of needing seven IVY kits - can you think of a cheaper alternative for the surround channel output stages? (don't get wrong though - your prices are very fair!)

Regards,

Ash Evans
OzOnE.
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 5, 2008 2:59:40 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
OzOnE wrote:
Hi, Russ,

(continuing on from "4 ohm" discussion on diyaudio.) There's a bit of a volley of questions here, but might as well get the main ones out of the way....

1) Are you possibly considering doing an 8-channel Buffalo kit in the future? Or, if I bought a standard Buffalo kit, do you think it would be fairly simple to cut the traces to separate the channels? (my soldering's not bad, as I've done a lot of repair work before and the I2C config won't be a problem as I'll be using a simple PIC at first, then a TI DSP or SHARC dev kit at some point.

2) Do you possibly have a Buffalo kit available without the Sabre chip itself, and how do get the soldering on your boards to look so nice - do you use a proper reflow oven or a hot-air method?

3) Would you recommend using further DC protection after the Sympatico's? (Rather be safe than sorry; I'm not totally convinced by the scarily-named "SPIKE" protection!)

4) I will probably buy an LCDPS and LCBPS kit at some point - how many separate toroids are needed for these, or can at least one of them work from the main amp toroid?

5) Although I knew that the costs of going multichannel would start to add up, I'm a bit worried about the prospect of needing seven IVY kits - can you think of a cheaper alternative for the surround channel output stages? (don't get wrong though - your prices are very fair!)

Regards,

Ash Evans
OzOnE.

Hi Ash,

1) Yes possibly, but not for months.

2) We don't have any spare boards at the moment.

3) It would not hurt, but the balanced (bridged) nature of the amp would make it very hard to find a solution.

4) Well at least two.

5) Sure, just go directly out to each power amp. It would work fine for the Sympatico as the common mode DC offset will not bother them at all.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Wednesday, November 5, 2008 4:14:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OzOnE  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2008 1:01:35 AM(UTC)
OzOnE

Hi again,

Ok, I admit defeat! I'm trying to price the components for the seven Sympatico boards, but I'm having trouble figuring out the best caps and things like that.

1) I was going for Panasonic TSHA for the PSU caps, and FC series for the 470uF - are those fairly good caps for a guy on a budget?)

2) Do you have a BOM for the Sympatico modules at all?

I think it would definitely have been easier to buy the complete kits from you in the first place; I'm now realizing what a great service you're providing here!

So, sorry if this next part is a tad complex and a bit of a pain, but It's mainly because I can't really afford to buy everything in one go...

3) Firstly, could I pre-order an assembled Buffalo + LCDPS (or, do I need to buy from the site at 7pm EDIT: on the 8th?)

4) Also, could I please have a price for three (mono) Sympatico kits (parts, but no PCBs)

The idea is to get the front 3 amps up and running for now, then use the assembled Buffalo + LCDPS for 2-channel.

5) Please let me know when you have any Buffalo boards spare as I'd like to try modding a kit for multichannel output.

It might be tricky to modify due to the small(ish) traces, but it's worth a try. I realize I'd also need to hook up the extra digital inputs then mod the PIC code (I can re-flash the chip.)

Regards,
Ash Evans.
OzOnE.

Edited by user Friday, November 7, 2008 1:18:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

glt  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2008 8:56:35 AM(UTC)
glt

Hi ozone,

Since no one has been able to pre-order before, you'll just have to wait until tomorrow. Last time the modules were sold out in 4 minutes. With the favorable GBP vs dollar exchange, you guys in EU are getting a heck of a deal!
Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2008 10:04:36 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I'll be in touch about the Sympatico parts.

Quote:
5) Please let me know when you have any Buffalo boards spare as I'd like to try modding a kit for multichannel output.

We won't have any spare boards until the next order. Also, it is going to be just about impossible to mod them for multichannel, as all the bridge traces reside under the DAC chip.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed