Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
needsp  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 8:48:15 PM(UTC)
needsp

Groups: Member
United Kingdom

Hi

I tried it out a Volumite on my Buffalo 2 several years ago and found it worked well, but didn’t keep it due the lack of remote control. Recently I decided to reinstall it equipped with remote controlled motorised pot (a stereo linear 10k type with the channels connected in parallel). It didn’t work but, I found I had damaged the 3.3V dvcc reg supplying it which meant it had received 5V instead! I repaired the reg, but the Volumite still didn’t work- at zero setting the output muted, but turning the pot only acted to switch output on without level control.

I tried a new Volumite pcb (I had damaged some tracks) and memory chip. Now the dac behaved as if the Volumite wasn’t fitted- the dac’s output was constant. I removed the motorised pot and refitted the original pot. No change. I noticed I had forgotten to remove the firmware chip from Buffalo on this occasion. I corrected this- no change. I then tried removing the memory from both Volumite and Buffalo- no change- the dac operated fine with neither chip fitted!! Finally I tried the reset on Buffalo- no change.

Help!

Paul N
needsp  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 9:08:40 AM(UTC)
needsp

United Kingdom

Thinking about it, I doubt the Volumite saw 5V at all at any stage. I managed to destroy the fet ccs in the reg which caused its output to drop to about 0.7V. The ess9018 survived after all.

Paul N
needsp  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 9:20:10 PM(UTC)
needsp

United Kingdom

Fixed! I refitted the original memory chip to the new Volumite board, and it works fine now. So it seems the new chip was partly to blame. I don't understand the full sequence of events, but to hell with it.... :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed