Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
shadowfax  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 3:47:32 PM(UTC)
shadowfax

Groups: Member
Puerto Rico

Hi:

I am building my kit and working on the HD PS but cannot find a definitive shunt current recommendation for each power supply. The manual mentions a 50 ma example but it seems generic.

In the Buffalo 3 SE manual current requirements of 440ma and 90 to 150ma are mentioned for ea. power supply
respectively but it is not mentioned if these are shunt currents across TP-VIN+ - TP-CCS. Thanks in advance.
LeonvB  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 5:24:49 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
The amount of shunt current depends on your build. Your CCS should always be slightly more than the maximum amount of current used.

Look at it like this: you set the current the PSU supplies. What isn't used, is transformed into heat. So you do not want to set it too high, as you would raise the temperature of all components thereby shortening their lifespan. On the other hand: if you set it too low, there will be drops in voltage. With a setting of 50mA, you're good for most stock builds based on the TPA modules. I can't give you better guidance without exact measurements of what your specific setup's power usage is.

shadowfax  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:09:38 PM(UTC)
shadowfax

Puerto Rico

I am building a BUFFALO 3 SE dac with the TPA 9V and 12V transformers. So if I measure 50 - 60ma shunt between the TP-VIN+ - TP-CCS
points, would that be OK?

Or would I need a higher measurement for the HD -Buffalo?

Best,

Manuel
LeonvB  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:52:54 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Please read the specific manual for your version of the PSU. I do not know what PSU version you are using, but mostly shunt is the voltage measured TP-OUT / TP-SHUNT.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed