Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
DG851  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2016 5:11:20 AM(UTC)
DG851

Groups: Member
Italy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi there,

I would like to build a DAC for my 2 Ncore NC400,
what I need is only a USB input for my PC, two XLR output (eventually two single ended too) and a volume control. I will use the Buffalo III se in stereo mode (for now) and I need some advises, if someone can help.
As long as I will use only a USB input, I would like it to be as good as possible. I believe my best choice is to add an Amanero USB receiver (am I right?), but I need also help to understand if it's worth to add the Hermes, the Cronus module and the Rhea Pair (what exactly are the Reha Pair?) with this configuration. In the future I could think about upgrading to a dual mono mode.

I usually read FLAC up to 24/192.

As far as I understood I can buy this components for my purpose (am I right?):

- 1 Buffalo IIISE DAC board with Trident regulator combo set + a Placid HD power supply + a Transformer 9V
- 1 Legato 3.1 + a Placid HD BP power supply + a Transformer 15V
- Amanero USB receiver (which option?)

If the suggested option will be to add the Hermes and the Cronus, how do I connect the uFL cables to the Buffalo III se?

Thank you!

P.S. All this is to celebrate my new speakers build, a 3way classic (project by Troels Gravesen)

Edited by user Sunday, February 28, 2016 5:12:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked DG851 for this useful post.
Peter Iles on 3/15/2016(UTC)
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2016 2:19:53 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
You have a great plan so far!

I would absolutely suggest using the cronus/hermes/amanero to get the most out of your USB setup - but if cost is a factor you could just use a plain stock amanero in master mode.

For a Cronus setup you will want:
- "Cronus Re-clocking Module with 45.1584/49.152MHz Rhea Pair" combo
- "Hermes-Amanero USB Isolator Module"
- And of course "Amanero Combo384 Module USB Module" which will already have the slave mode firmware installed and ready to use with the Cronus/Hermes.

You can power the cronus/hermes from the same Placid as the DAC - and this is generally best because DAC and the clocks need to come up at the same time - or clocks first (cronus). :)

When you setup the Cronus select the 1:2 clock divider to the hermes. This will allow you to stream up to 384Khz from the amanero.

I would recommend building the B3SE with a socket for the trident at the VDD-XO (clock supply) so that you can start simple with the DAC in async mode and then try sync mode if you like - switching between will be easier that way.

If you run sync mode at the DAC (with clock trident removed and mck wired from cronus) set the S1 DIP switches numbered 5-8 to OFF. This sets the DPLL to freewheel - which is what you want/need to keep DAC locked at high sample rates because of the close in nature (half of what would normally be required) of the master clock to bit clock.

Edited by user Sunday, February 28, 2016 2:24:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Russ White for this useful post.
DG851 on 3/1/2016(UTC)
Sabrosa  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2016 5:12:43 AM(UTC)
Sabrosa

Originally Posted by: Russ White Go to Quoted Post
You can power the cronus/hermes from the same Placid as the DAC - and this is generally best because DAC and the clocks need to come up at the same time - or clocks first (cronus). :)

Hey Russ, quick question on powering the Buffalo IIIse and Cronus/Hermes. Assuming you have the power-on sequence taken care of, is there a benefit to running the DAC and Cronus/Hermes from separate supplies?

I assumed it would be best to use separate shunt regulators, both for separation as well as to provide the exact preferred voltage to each board (5.25V and 5V). Is this overkill, or would there be a tangible benefit in your opinion?
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2016 2:23:52 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Good question.

It's actually a good situation to power them both from the same supply - as long as the supply can handle the current. Because both the B3SE and the Cronus have superb local regulation there would be little to gain by powering it separately. Cronus will do fine with 5.25 ~ 5.5V.

Cheers!
Russ
Sabrosa on 3/3/2016(UTC)
Sabrosa  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2016 4:38:18 AM(UTC)
Sabrosa

Thanks Russ! That's definitely helpful and something I had been curious about.

For the current, if you run the B3SE in sync mode without the XO clock, how much would that reduce the draw? From 440mA to 330mA, or do different Tridents consume different current?

And I saw you mention on diyAudio that the Cronus draws less than 200mA typically and under 150mA at 384k. Is it safe to say that 200mA is the max? I know it goes up with higher bitrates -- would you expect DSD to exceed this draw?

Edited by user Thursday, March 3, 2016 4:40:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2016 2:53:14 PM(UTC)
Russ White

A budget of 200ma from Cronus should definitely suffice. :)

I would plan that without the trident for the XO the B3SE will use about 100ma less than usual.

So one PlacidHD should do just fine. In fact that is all I use at the moment.
Cheers!
Russ
Sabrosa on 3/4/2016(UTC)
Sabrosa  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2016 3:07:41 AM(UTC)
Sabrosa

Awesome, that's perfect. Appreciate the help and quick answers!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed