Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
trav  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:17:42 AM(UTC)
trav

Groups: Member
United States

So, I was not paying attention and accidentally hooked power up to a placid that was turned around. So, v+ went into gnd_out and gnd went into v_out. I saw smoke, stopped it, realized what I did, and swore never to drink again. The previous settings had v_out at 7v with v_pent at 1.2k and CCS at about 360mv with current_pent about 550. When I tested it after screwing up, v_out read 12v and ccs about 38mv. Is this dead? Is it possible to find and replace a faulty component without total scrap? Thank you for advise.
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:15:27 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
My guess is you will end up replacing so many parts its probably best just to replace. I am sorry. :(
trav  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:52:19 PM(UTC)
trav

United States

I figured. Too bad I only have myself to blame and not anyone else.
Jordo  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:15:28 PM(UTC)
Jordo

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Trav,

Which version of the Placid do you have?
I might have a spare assembled Placid HD BP V1.0 for you?

It's not soldered like a master piece but if it can make you feel better Angel

Best Regards,

Jordo

Edited by user Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:16:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Jordo for this useful post.
kesgreen on 12/17/2014(UTC), trav on 12/22/2014(UTC)
trav  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:08:32 PM(UTC)
trav

United States

Thank you much for the offer!

I had spare electrolytic caps, and I was going to try to replace them starting with the 10k to see if it fixes the problem. I had the recent one -- 2.1 I think. Although it is really tempting to take a free one, overall this has turned into a pricey project, so I may order a new 2.1 not to skimp. I may just need to order only the board as I think I actually have a lot of the parts from ordering spare ones in quantities of 10 after losing them to the abyss that is my three year old's room during making a BP version earlier. I will let you know through PM if I take you up on the offer. Thanks again.
kesgreen  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:45:37 AM(UTC)
kesgreen

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jordo Go to Quoted Post
Hi Trav,

Which version of the Placid do you have?
I might have a spare assembled Placid HD BP V1.0 for you?

I just wanted to say how kind that offer is. Being of limited funds I know how heartbreaking it can be when something blows up!

I think this is proof of what a wonderful community Twisted Pear builders are.
Jordo  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:56:04 AM(UTC)
Jordo

Hi Trav,

Allright, just let me know ;)

@ Kesgreen,

Thx! I know how disappointed you can be when you do something you won't forgive yourself. We all want the best results in the most short period of time so we work to hard and make mistakes. Fortunately my mistakes have not end up in smoke (yet) but I think I broke my Teleporter and Wave IO by some other misinterpretations.

I recently replaced a Placid BP and I'm awaiting another one any moment now. I was wondering what to do what the old anyway. So if I can make someone happy with it this way... You know, it's almost Christmas Angel

Cheers!

Jordo
thanks 1 user thanked Jordo for this useful post.
kesgreen on 12/17/2014(UTC)
trav  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2014 6:22:10 AM(UTC)
trav

United States

I replaced a few of the 47uf caps and now I have a normal voltage, but there are some peculiarities. The CCS measures a few mv above the shunted and they are not moving much. I seem to recall back when it worked that they steadily grew. I suppose I could hook something up to it and see if that brings the shunted down. Is there some way to test it easily to know that it is functioning as intended? I had fried it initially by accidentally hooking up the power to the outputs. My guess was that should only have mattered to the electrolytic caps. Would that have been a good guess? I was having a nightmare trying to desolder the 10k caps. thank you.

Edit: attached a r20 incandescent light bulb. CCS measures 480mv and shunted measures 380mv. So, everything works...I think?

Edited by user Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:16:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jordo  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2014 4:14:12 PM(UTC)
Jordo

Hi Trav,

And does things work fine now?

Grtz,

Jordo
trav  
#10 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2014 6:24:07 PM(UTC)
trav

United States

From basic tests, the placid seems to be functioning as intended in so far as shunting excess into heat. I am slightly nervous as it does not seem to behave exactly as before, but that could be my imagination. I have yet to hook everything together and see if actual sound comes out the final product. I am finally going to do that in the next few days. Fingers crossed :). Again, thank you for the support and offer.

Edited by user Monday, December 29, 2014 6:28:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jordo  
#11 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2014 7:17:59 PM(UTC)
Jordo

Yes it's always nerve breaking to flip the Switch!
There's not much I can do than to wish you good luck. Maybe Russ can give you some test to ensure you won't blow everything up in smoke...

Cheers!

Jordo
Russ White  
#12 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2014 8:02:15 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Is this a Placid 2.1? If so then it sounds like it is functioning fine as long as it is holding the correct voltage and shunt current stays consistent.

Cheers!
Russ
trav  
#13 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2014 8:41:37 PM(UTC)
trav

United States

Yes it is a Placid 2.1. I think that is pretty much what I hoped to hear before hooking it up to the biiise. The only strange thing was that it seemed to grow in ccs and shunted current when I was testing it before I fried it when nothing was attached. Then after replacing the electrolytic capacitors (except 10k), which seemed to fix it, the current measures remained fixed without anything attached, but seemed to be the correct values in relation to something attached (I was using a light bulb). It is probably a fluke, and since my thought is it is fine as well, I won't blame you if by chance something goes wrong. Thanks!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed