Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
siltCloud  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 8:11:00 AM(UTC)
siltCloud

Groups: Member
United States

Hi, I am planning a BIII build using 8 channels of single-ended output. I think in terms of I/V offerings from TP that means I will be using IVY III, which is fine.

I think I read in the blurb for IVY III that I/V filtering is optional. Even as a hardware NOOB, I'm assuming I can't just short out C1-C4 and R5-R12.

But are there minimum values for these components which will allow the circuit to work properly while providing minimum filtering?

You may have guessed that my irrational bugbear is hardware filtering anywhere that software filtering can be used.

So my implicit question, out of sheer ignorance of hardware, is, can all the high-frequency component be filtered out in the digital domain, or is there inherent high-frequency that is the simple result of the DAC converter itself?

I understand that it may be possible to turn off things like the oversampling filter, but it occurs to me that even something as simple as the on-chip volume control might be sufficient to reintroduce high-frequency into the signal. Also I am ignorant of whether the simple act of performing D to A conversion at high rate (such as DSD256!) is all that it takes to put high-frequency back into the signal.

I believe I read in another forum post that a user had a positive experience relaxing the values of the filter capacitors, so I also welcome any real-life experiences.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom with an enthusiastic Noob.

Russ White  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:17:47 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
You only need remove the filter caps. Leave the resistors in place as they are necessary.

Edited by user Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:18:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Russ White for this useful post.
siltCloud on 6/22/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed