Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
biggsd  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 10:50:42 AM(UTC)
biggsd

Groups: Member
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi there

I have just built my legato Buffalo II DAC. Sounds amazing! Intention is to use it for dance music applications through my high end Opus Analog Rig.

Now, I know the IVY is more recommended for this application, but I just couldn't go past the discrete design. I am really amazed with the sound quality from the balanced output - SE not so nice (with the op amp) and its noticeable at high power.

The mids and tops and high end on the legato is absolutely stunning, its like I have a whole new sound system. The only thing I noticed is the attack of the kick/bass was a little soft, and I was wondering if there any changes I can make to the legato to drive this up a bit. I have experimented with changing some of the quanitzer settings and see a bit of a difference, but keen for some impressions on what can be done.

The entire signal path after the DAC has NO op amps in it (the power Amps and crossover are purely discrete) so the clarity i am getting at 7000 watts is incredible.

Also, can i make the output of the legato a little bit hotter? It would be great if I didn't need any kind of intermediate piece of equipment between that and the rig.

Thanks in advance!
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 9:29:05 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Which version of the Legato is it?

Do you have it AC coupled?
biggsd  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:43:51 PM(UTC)
biggsd

New Zealand

Hi Russ

I have just built the stock standard legato and buffalo IIISE last week, so its the latest version I assume.

There are no AC coupling caps on the balanced output, in the manual I remember is saying the latest version doesn't need these. Set DC to pretty much 0 when setting up power supplies. Rails on legato are +- 15v.

Is this recommended?

cheers

Russ White  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 2:41:22 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
You are fine.

What I suspect is not so much a lack of bass attack, but rather you are getting all of the mid and highs that you have up to this point been missing. if you wish to accentuate the bass you may need to attenuate the highs (but I would hardly suggest that) . :)

My suggestion is an equalizer or to simply tune your system (in terms f transducers, speakers) to your new found fidelity. :)
biggsd  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 3:30:23 AM(UTC)
biggsd

New Zealand

fair enough, I can tune the bass up in the system, but it is more of the kick drum not banging out like when i compare it to another device. You are right though, it could just be a new sound - as its very different from anything I have ever heard before.. this is what happens in high end audio when you upgrade stuff - its always a new experience. This Opus system I have really shows it though...

I also have another configuration where I need SE output to go into an analog mixer. If I wanted the very best in sound quality for SE - as good as the balanced - would you recommend the Ventus discrete headphone stage?

I could run balanced from the DAC to the Ventus box (small distance) and then short SE from there to the mixer. Would this be the best way to do it?

What power supply would I need for 4 channels of the Ventus discrete SE output? (obviously I need 2 DACS)

Thanks!
Brian Donegan  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:35:00 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
You can just run Balanced and SE from the Legato (it has a bal->se circuit built in).

For four Ventus boards, I would just use a LCBPS.
christensenleif@msn.com  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:50:45 AM(UTC)
christensenleif@msn.com

try a beefier power transformer for the Legato and you´ll get a suprise
best
Leif
Norway
biggsd  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2013 10:51:57 AM(UTC)
biggsd

New Zealand

Hi there Leif

Can you suggest a specific transformer you have had work for you in this case? Even a web link?

what did you experience when you changed the transformer?

Best and thanks!
biggsd  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:55:02 AM(UTC)
biggsd

New Zealand

Wow, just installed a new 160VA Transformer for the Legato ... make s MASSIVE difference to the sound, its like having a brand new DAC. Low end heaps more defined and phatter, exactly what i was looking for. the sound has taken on a new presence that wasn't there before.. great stuff!

Thanks Leif, that was the best tip!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed