Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
jf4828  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 9:01:59 PM(UTC)
jf4828

Groups: Member

So I've built up the Buffalo III and mounted everything on a steel plate waiting for my chassis to come in. I really like the Hifiduino project and planned to integrate that into my build. However, having 10 years experience with embedded systems running Linux, I am thinking I should invest a little more time and design a high res music server in the same chassis. I didn't realize that Rasberry Pi and Beagle Bone were such inexpensive and functional packages until I started reading:)

I'm thinking this will be relatively inexpensive only requiring the board and local music storage (maybe using NAS is a cheaper alternative as I already have a squeezebox server).

Just posting this to get ideas as I'm sure others have thought through this some. The plan would include:
1. Control volume and source on the buffalo via IR
2. Video out to external monitor for music selection(considering)
3. 20x4 LCD onboard control
4. Await USB/I2S from TPA and confirm Linux interoperability

I still need to figure out:
1. What packages already exist for bit perfect playback and control for Linux
2. Which hardware platform will work better for the 20x4 LCD and Buffalo I/O

I'm sure it will be a bit of coding but leveraging the open source community should make it pretty quick development. This should provide a pretty flexible configuration that provides a platform that allows addition of features pretty easily. The purpose of this post is to help generate ideas and determine pitfalls if others have already gone down this road. Full time job, school and a 2 month will probably make the development pretty slow. Thanks in advanced for any feedback:)
Amaro  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:06:10 PM(UTC)
Amaro

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Great idea.

Two suggestions.

You can use as usb adapter one Amanero board. It offers 32/384 and DSD capabiliti. Amanero website says no drivers needed for Linux with UAC2 compliant kernel.

TFT color display from 3 to 10 inch with or wihtout touch panel, like http://www.ebay.es/itm/V...&hash=item2a1ab251d5 or http://www.ebay.es/itm/D...&hash=item48418d5670

Regards

SCompRacer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:16:38 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Someday TP will offer an I2C controller. Many of us are patiently waiting for the hi-res USB module as well. ;)

You can take a look in this thread at diyaudio for some ideas regarding LCD control.

http://www.diyaudio.com/...9018-i2c-controller.html

Two things that simplified my LCD install were the shield Corpius offered and the electroFun I2C LCDextra IO board he suggested. That attaches to the LCD via direct solder or removable male/female header pins/sockets. It provides I2C control of the LCD and really cuts down on wires needed to the LCD.

http://www.electrofunltd...0/i2c-lcd-extra-io.html#!/2011/10/i2c-lcd-extra-io.html

I am using HiFiDuino/Corpius modified code. An Apple remote allows total control. I also went with hardware debounce of the encoder after this pic was taken.

The shield and I2C LCDextra IO board allowed me to go from this

UserPostedImage

to this...the Arduino UNO R3 is mostly hidden under the shield.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Oh, forgot to add I use this voltage level converter HiFiDuino shows in his intro to drop the voltage from 5V to 3.3V for wires connecting to the I2C header on the BIII DAC board.

http://hifiduino.wordpre...-and-guide-to-hifiduino/

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:30:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Corpius  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:58:42 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jf4828 Go to Quoted Post

Just posting this to get ideas as I'm sure others have thought through this some. The plan would include:
1. Control volume and source on the buffalo via IR
2. Video out to external monitor for music selection(considering)
3. 20x4 LCD onboard control
4. Await USB/I2S from TPA and confirm Linux interoperability

I still need to figure out:
1. What packages already exist for bit perfect playback and control for Linux
2. Which hardware platform will work better for the 20x4 LCD and Buffalo I/O

Rasberry Pi should allow you to take care of most of your wishes. The Amanero or WaveIO are both nice usb to i2s converters, but the WaveIO is not yet capable of sample rates higher than 192 khz or DSD. It just a matter of firmware. The WaveIO is compatible with Linux, don't know about the Amanero.

I hope to finish my i2c controller in a very short time. The PCBs are on its way to me. It allows full control of the DAC and switching inputs. All settings and functions will be available by remote control and/or rotary encoder. Level conversion is done by the i2c isolator and there is no need to add the LCDextra from electroFUN as has its own IO expander for driving any hd44780 based LCD, OLED or VFD. I will update the diyaudio page and my own site soon.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed