Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jordo  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2012 4:11:51 PM(UTC)
Jordo

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Ok, I try not to flip here but this is the thing;

Yesterday I was experimenting with the headphones. So far as I know I did nothing wrong.
The only thing I did was connecting the two grounds of the LH and RH Ventus EZ together to go to the headphone Jack from the RH Ventus. I also connected two normal wires to the Jack for the LH and RH channel.
Some sound came out with a ground loop noise and some crackling noise too.

I always have this crackling sound when I play over the speakers but this could alway's be eliminated by pressing the pause button on the PC one or more times. But not over the headphones.

I tried to power up the vollume a little and I think I heard some kind of relay clicking.
The power amplifier was off.

When I tried to connect the power amp again and switched it to ON, only sound came out of the RH speaker.
If I dim the RH speaker and set the vollume to 100% on the DAC there is a little bit of sound comming from the LH speaker but it is nearly not amplified.

I checked all the connections, I meassured the voltages, disconnected all the leads running to the LH Ventus all without result.

This is all I did...
Does someone have any suggestions?
I'm afraid I blew something but I don't see how....

Please help!

Jordo

Edit:
When Both the Ventus modules where reconnected with only one ground to the RH ventus sound was comming out of the heaphones. It is some kind of stereo but not devided into two seperate left and right channels.
But it seems the IVY passes trough some signal on the LH side..

Edited by user Saturday, November 3, 2012 4:38:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 8:07:42 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Just to be clear, you are using the IVY-III balanced outputs to connect to the two Ventus boards.

Is your headphone jack a shorting type? Meaning, are the R+ and L+ connected to GND when there are no headphones plugged in? This is is a common feature and useful for input jacks. On output jacks, however, you are dead-shorting the outputs, which is, well, bad. Worth double-checking.

Other that that, maybe a picture would spark (Anxious ) some ideas...
Jordo  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2012 8:17:33 AM(UTC)
Jordo

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.
No my Jack is not shortening the L+R channels to the ground when the Plug is not connected. So that part is OK.

Now I do use the IVYIII's for the Ventus-EZ Boards but I just discovered (thanks Leon) that I have to give them a balanced input parralel to the XLR output plugs and they will convert to SE out.
This is what I'm going to try next.

There is only one common ground on the headphones Jack. Do I have to run two seperate grounds from the Ventus' to the common ground of the Jack?

I think this will solve my headphone issue but leaves me with the LH channel wich is lost via the speaker amplifier.
But I will post on that later.

What kind of details should I post for you in a photo?

Many thanks!

Jordo
Jordo  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:37:02 AM(UTC)
Jordo

Double checking the DAC Boards and Solder Joints I noticed that the Adress jumper was not placed on the RH Board.

What are the consequences of leaving this one out?

Just placed it and reconnecting things.
Jordo  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:03:00 AM(UTC)
Jordo

Hm, this next thing is quite strange.

I connected both Ventus-EZ with the balanced outputs on the IVYIII.
The Headphones Jack consists out of 3 connections; LH channel, RH channel and a common GND.
I tightened the ground outputs from the Left and Right Ventus together on the Jack.

Now when I dim the RH channel I only hear sound via the LH channel which is good and as you might expect.
If I dim the LH channel I still hear (a better quality mono) sound trough both speakers!....

How can this be?

For the LH Ventus I use the LH SE output channel of the IVYIII for IN+ and the RH SE output channel of the IVYIII for the IN-
The RH Ventus vice versa. I have a Dual Mono Setup.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:15:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jordo  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2012 9:26:27 AM(UTC)
Jordo

I just cross connected the XLR output to my end amp and the DAC is giving output signal via the LH IVY but with crackling sound.

The lock is steady. So suddenly the end amp LH channel must have died.
But there is also something wrong with the LH DAC.

I'm going to swap the IVY stages and let's see what will happen...
Jordo  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2012 11:54:51 AM(UTC)
Jordo

Ok I just swapped the IVY stages from the DAC's. The sound somewhat improved. At least there is no constand crackling sound anymore.

But the LH /RH channel diversion is not correct.

If I do a stereo soundtest on youtube and the LH channel is tested the LH channel can be heard.

If they swap to the RH channel equally volume level is heard trough both speakers.

When centered there is stereo sound but it just is not correct... Looks like one channel is out of phase.

If I pull the LH or RH TTL level connection from the Toslink module, connected directly to the DAC board, the same symtombs can be noted.

I would figure that they will make a hard LH/RH channel diversion.
I would expect that I only hear a LH channel when the RH dac is not fed by the Toslink connection and vice versa but that seems not the case.

I will post some pictures of the DAC boards later...
Jordo  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:30:49 PM(UTC)
Jordo

With the speakers connected (I have my old power amp connected) all channels work as should be.

So there must be something wrong in the Ventus connections...

Is this still correct?

For the LH Ventus I use the LH SE output channel of the LH IVYIII for IN+ and the RH SE output channel of the LH IVYIII for the IN-
The RH Ventus vice versa; For the RH Ventus I use the RH SE output channel of the RH IVYIII for IN+ and the LH SE output channel of the RH IVYIII for the IN-
The signal grounds mate at the Jack so they share a common GND.

I have a Dual Mono Setup.

This is how it is connected. The same for the Ventus modules.....

Edited by user Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:58:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jordo attached the following image(s):
XLR%20IVY%20GND.png (14kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Jordo  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 11:23:12 AM(UTC)
Jordo

I will continue my monologue :)

After thorough testing and experimenting with different setups I noticed that the RH Ventus, although connected as the XLR's and the previous scematic for dual mono setup, was anti-phased.
After switching the IN+ with the IN- on the Ventus sound quality improved dramatically.

Still I'm not able to isolate the RH channel trough the RH speaker but I'm afraid I have to drop that.
With both channels connected I have a stereo sound....

I still hope for some confirmation that it is normal system behaviour the way I hooked up things.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed