Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brian Donegan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 4:47:41 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
We will have 20 Buffalo DAC modules available from the first run of boards, and we are planning another order which will arrive shortly to meet expected demand. We also have tweaked the component values for the IVY kit (I/V stage) for optimum performance with the Buffalo. there are two minor errors on the silk screen labeling for these boards, but I will include a printed correction.

Pricing for the first 20 modules will be as follows:

Buffalo DAC Module, fully assembled: $129
Buffalo DAC Module + Dual Power Supply Kit (LCDPS): $169
Buffalo DAC Module + Dual Power Supply Kit (LCDPS) + IVY I/V Stage Kit + Bipolar Power Supply Kit (LCBPS): $275

These will include the standard compliment of mounting hardware and terminal blocks for making the connections (unmounted). The IVY comes as a kit which requires assembly (see Opus page for details).

Once we have more boards in stock, we will offer them bare, and with just the DAC chip mounted. Pricing for the next board run will depend on how many we order, but will likely be the same (or at least close) to these prices. The price increase over the other DAC modules is based mainly on the cost of the ES9008 DAC chips, but also the need for micro-controller programming, etc.

I have no plans at this time to offer the DAC chips by themselves.

I plan to start shipping these modules on Monday, May 5th, assuming all the parts arrive on time. I will begin taking orders for them on Saturday, April 26th at 10PM EST. Check for the new Buffalo page to appear.

[EDIT: Clarified the ordering options]

Edited by user Saturday, April 26, 2008 5:23:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

fierce_freak  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 4:20:21 PM(UTC)
fierce_freak

Groups: Member

Hey Brian, a few questions: I ordered an Ivy that was shipped out last week that I intend to use with the Buffalo. What are the modified i/v values? Also, I have 2 LCDPS but need 1 LCDPS and 1 bipolar supply. I know an LCDPS can be wired to work as bipolar, but is there likely to be any difference in the quality of its power output compared to a true bipolar supply? Thanks!.
Brian Donegan  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 5:42:46 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

The changes to the IVY are as follows: R5-R8 change from jumpers to 178R-187R (0.1%). We will also be changing R13-R16 to 2K (0.1%) as it simulates a tiny bit better, even though we could not hear a difference between the two. I just updated the IVY schematic with a new version noting these changes.

To use the Dual supply as a Bipolar supply, simply add a jumper from one side's GND Output to the other side's V+ Output. The jumpered spots become the 0V position. The un-jumpered V+ Output is V+ and the un-jumpered GND Output is V-. The LM317 actually has slightly better specs then the LM337, so it may actually (theoretically) be better quality, but I think the differences will, in reality, be negligible.
fierce_freak  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 7:11:03 PM(UTC)
fierce_freak

Would you guys mind throwing in the needed resistors with my order. I don't mind sending an extra paypal payment to offset your costs. Thanks guys!
Javin5  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2008 5:09:52 AM(UTC)
Javin5

Hi Brian

I wanted to order a Buffalo, but it seems that your initial batch was sold out as soon as you put the Buffalo order page online. When do I have a chance to order again? Why don't you set up some buttons for preorders?

And another question: The Kookaburra is listed as discontinued? Why? Will it be replaced by a new design, maybe based on the Wolfson chip?

Thanks for your answers.

Kurt
ocremona  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2008 7:12:05 AM(UTC)
ocremona

Hi Brian!
I was wondering whether you are gonna release a volume control (on the digital domain) for the Buffalo DAC, i.e. the modified Joshua tree controller that Russ is mentioning on post #531 in the DIYAudio thread.
Thanks guys!
Brian Donegan  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:02:17 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Quote:
I plan to start shipping these modules on Monday, May 5th, assuming all the parts arrive on time.

Well, somehow the chips are going to take a week to get to me instead of 2 or 3 days requested, so I will not have them until Monday. I therefore will not be able to ship until at least Wednesday the 7th.
Russ White  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2008 6:44:38 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
ocremona wrote:
Hi Brian!
I was wondering whether you are gonna release a volume control (on the digital domain) for the Buffalo DAC, i.e. the modified Joshua tree controller that Russ is mentioning on post #531 in the DIYAudio thread.
Thanks guys!

We have a new controller platform coming out soon which will support Buffalo volume control(as well as a lot of other stuff). :)

We will post news when more info is ready for release.

Cheers!
Russ
qmarjov  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:22:39 AM(UTC)
qmarjov

Hi Brian&Russ,
-I have plan to order Buffalo,USB receiver,I/V converter and supply but before I have some questions.
For USB receiver. How is recognized by computer? Do I need any driver to redirect sound to specific
USB port?
-I want to connect AIKIDO preamp. to the Buffalo. Which way is best regarding impedance? What to use
passive or active I/V conversion. In case of passive conversion what value of ressistor give best result?
-Do you sell it in kit or only assembled version?
-How did you solve computer noise on USB receiver board? Usualy it should be optoisolated for best result.

Thanks!
Mario
Rss Feed  Atom Feed