Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

14 Pages«<23456>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
gwikse  
#61 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:05:40 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Well not sure about new ideas, but hey, nice if you can get it made :) I`ll have to get me one or two ;)

There are currently two things that are on my wish list:
1. Network control (PC, Android/iphone app etc)
2. Remote relay (IR learn and blast function)*

*I told you a little about this idea a while ago, but the basics are:

When you select a source on the buffalo you also have programmed the remote codes from that source to a "secondary function" on the apple remote that you use for the DAC. The secondary functions would then be accessible by pressing say the menu + play/pause within a given time frame. And then you control that component with the remote. Pressing the menu + play/pause button again will revert to DAC control, or perhaps even more functions and having the revert to dac control being the oppsosite (play/pause + menu).
Replicate this for all your gear and place IR dongles in front of them and you have a single remote controlling most functions of your system in a fairly logical way.

Anyways, I am looking forward to seeing and reading more about your dac.
Corpius  
#62 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:56:50 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I'm not entirely sure if I understand it.

You want to be able to let the Arduino learn the IR codes of your sources. Then use the apple remote to let arduino send out the code by using an IR emitter/dongle. This would send the IR codes to source. Right?
DQ828  
#63 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:56:58 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
You guy's need to stop talking about b-?-m-b-s, you'll get yourselves into trouble :)

I will say the itead Studio screen I am using is a bit disappointing in the quality of the screen, very hard to see at an angle, can't adjust the back light or turn the screen off easily. I have had a look at the vfd LCD's & they look very nice I'll be very interested ti see what yours looks like.

Is there a link available to the Elna 22uF silmic cap installation you have mentioned?

I to am having issues with the 4 Spdif board but I assumed it was something I was doing wrong.

keep up the good work

gwikse  
#64 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:33:45 AM(UTC)
gwikse

Hehe, trouble is DIY`s middle name ;)
I just want to say that from what I have read I am the only one that has posted opinions regarding the boards that can be interpreted as "on the edge". Hawing worked with both modules I can only say that I love my B2 in my implementation and like the B3 as what it is (more complex and full featured).

The VFD is the same as the one used here:

http://hifiduino.wordpre...iduino-with-vfd-display/

I doubt I will be able to take better pictures of it than he did. But I will take some shots of the two displays I have. My eyesight is poor and I am very light sensitive, so a backlit LCD screen usually only appear as a 20x4 light to me. That is why I want a VFD where the only light source on the screen is the text. On my computer I have done something simular and inverted the picture so that the background is black and text is green / blue etc. No more "deer trying to look at the driver behind the headlight" :)
gwikse  
#65 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:47:03 AM(UTC)
gwikse

Originally Posted by: Corpius Go to Quoted Post
I'm not entirely sure if I understand it.

You want to be able to let the Arduino learn the IR codes of your sources. Then use the apple remote to let arduino send out the code by using an IR emitter/dongle. This would send the IR codes to source. Right?

That was the idea yes, but atm I am not so sure this is the best thing to spend time and programming space on. I assume that most people that will want such a solution can program a universal remote to do the same thing (wich I have done atm). But for others that are less happy about gizmo`s lying around the living room, this could make the DAC the "brain" in the control of any configuration of components.

Corpius  
#66 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:49:46 AM(UTC)
Corpius

Originally Posted by: gwikse Go to Quoted Post

The VFD is the same as the one used here:

http://hifiduino.wordpre...iduino-with-vfd-display/

The VFD is imo the best looking solution, but also the most expensive. Perhaps you guys know where I could myself one of these for good nice price.

Btw. What Mr.AR2 did from the link is very very cool, but it looks like he designed the front plate before he measured the VFD. Think

Edited by user Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:50:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Corpius  
#67 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:04:41 PM(UTC)
Corpius

At the moment I have an inverted LCD display. Black background, white characters.

I made this short video of it.

I will build it into my DAC when I have the Buffalo shield for arduino.

EDIT: The temperature function is a bit mocked up, but this is normal behavior when there is no temperature sensor connected.

Edited by user Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:19:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gwikse  
#68 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:39:36 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Looks pretty sweet compared to the normal lcd I have atm.
I have not found the noritake vfd lcd replacement at a low cost anywhere. I have tried a few other inverted screens earlier, but yours look a lot better than the ones I`ve found. Anyways, if it disappear in transit this time I will just order one of those that you linked to earlier.

Edit: Time to order parts for a complete second control unit. I find it hard to test with only the one in my dac wich I prefer is working at all times... ;)

Edit2: I dont think you can use the VFD with the shield as it is atm. The VFD draw a lot more current than a normal LCD. That is partly why I wanted to power the LCD seporatly and not through the i2cIOextender. A solution to power the screen from the regulator on the arduino, but controlled from the i2cIOextender is possibly something to look at?

Edited by user Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:50:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Corpius  
#69 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:10:05 PM(UTC)
Corpius

The 5V from the i2cIOextender is coming from the Arduino, so it's the same. Maybe I understand you wrong? How much current does the VFD display draw?
gwikse  
#70 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:09:06 PM(UTC)
gwikse

I had problems with my i2cIOextender when I powered to the backlight from it. I had to remove the solder from the pin and run a wire directly from my arduino to make the backlight work. I seem to recall talking to you about this a long time ago, and I basically just thought that my lcd was pulling more current from it than yours. Anyways, it may be something with my modules or implementation that caused it. And since you got yours working it fell into the back of my mind until now that we were talking about the VFD wich according to the datasheet draw typ: 250mA and max: 330mA.

BTW: the price when ordering it directly from noritake is far lower than the price at digikey etc... hmmmm.

http://noritake-vfd.com/cu20045-uw5j.aspx

Edit: But then I noticed that there are a larger font vertion as well (8,8x3,65mm char). Sweet display but at ...a... price Whistle And it eats up the power (650mA ohlala) Anxious

Edited by user Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:40:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DQ828  
#71 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 11:24:41 AM(UTC)
DQ828

I'm really kicking myself now, as I sold an unopened BII just before I started this whole control thingBrick wall If I still had it I would do the Hifiduino implementation & tryout one of the vfd screens.

I may have to buy another BIII

I will be really interested to see how you go with the Vfd screen.
Corpius  
#72 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 11:51:42 AM(UTC)
Corpius

Why buying another when you already have one? You can even run the software without the B3!! The only things that are not displayed when using it without the B3 are the sample rate and signal type.
DQ828  
#73 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 12:21:39 PM(UTC)
DQ828

Originally Posted by: Corpius Go to Quoted Post
Why buying another when you already have one? You can even run the software without the B3!! The only things that are not displayed when using it without the B3 are the sample rate and signal type.

Well I also have a valve output stage for the BIII ready to goAnxious

I am paranoid that I will kill the system somehow & then be without while I sort out the problem, If I have another BII or BIII then I could build the whole thing with the valve output stage & then just swap them in and out.

I guess there is probably no good reason for spending all that money, sounds to me like I am trying to justify another purchase :)

DQ828  
#74 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:10:45 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Did you ever have any luck getting the screen going?
gwikse  
#75 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:26:22 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Still waiting for it to arrive.
gwikse  
#76 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 9:15:00 AM(UTC)
gwikse

I got this in the mail today :D

I am waiting for the io extender to replace the current LCD with this one (the io extender left spain yesterday).

Edit: I am hoping that I can get a filter (between the screen and the lexan in front of it) to match the green leds used in the TPA modules as well ;)

Edited by user Friday, October 19, 2012 9:20:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gwikse attached the following image(s):
vfd.jpg (247kb) downloaded 22 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Corpius  
#77 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 10:04:53 AM(UTC)
Corpius

Customs must really like the display when keeping it for such a long time Angel
gwikse  
#78 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 11:23:49 AM(UTC)
gwikse

The first order was lost at the customs office (I was compensated). I think someone over there has a nice display at home... This order went smoothly as I was on the phone with the customs office as soon as they got it ;) Looking forward to hooking it up. It looks great. Not sure it will be that nice without a filter, but I`m sure I can live with it until my new case is done. Should be possible for me to see the gui from the listening position with this :)

Edit: Some images of the new design (WIP). The goal is to keep the stereo in a shelf that is 30 cm deep, and so the case + contacts need to be < that.

Edited by user Friday, October 19, 2012 11:45:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gwikse attached the following image(s):
gunnar dac front.jpg (48kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
gunnar dac rear.jpg (73kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
gunnar dac filter.jpg (46kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
gunnar dac top view.jpg (97kb) downloaded 35 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
DQ828  
#79 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 10:26:30 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Looking good:)

I was beginning to think it would never arrive.

I need to pull my finger out & design the case, are those Sketchup models of the components I spy :) :)

I'll be very interested to hear how you go with integrating the new screen & software.

Edited by user Saturday, October 20, 2012 10:28:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gwikse  
#80 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:50:30 AM(UTC)
gwikse

Originally Posted by: DQ828 Go to Quoted Post
Looking good:)

I was beginning to think it would never arrive.

I need to pull my finger out & design the case, are those Sketchup models of the components I spy :) :)

I'll be very interested to hear how you go with integrating the new screen & software.

It took longer than I wanted but now its finally here so I can start using it. I used the ioextender that was meant for it in a different project in the meantime and I did not expect that I would get the display before I got the ioextender when I ordered it this time (ordered them the same day). I hope it will arrive over the week end so that I can start testing.

The model is in sketchup yes. And all the components are fairly detailed accurate models yes. Most can be found if you search for gwise in the sketchup online warehouse. I`ll update the models later today to be sure.
thanks 1 user thanked gwikse for this useful post.
DQ828 on 10/20/2012(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed