Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

3 Pages<123
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Corpius  
#41 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:56:01 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Register 27 is the status register. According to hifiduino it contains the following information:
  1. dsd or pcm mode
  2. spdif valid or invalid
  3. spdif mode enabled or disabled
  4. Jitter Eliminator locked/not locked to incoming signal

I'm not sure this information can be used for this. Perhaps i'm overseeing something here?
Brian Donegan  
#42 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:57:37 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I believe the Metronome will always be presenting a bit clock, so the ES9018 will remain in the locked state.
Corpius  
#43 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:00:06 PM(UTC)
Corpius

indeed, when the sidecar is switched to the metronome the dac remains in a lock state, so I can not use this information to determine if there is any signal coming in.
ed linssen  
#44 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:03:32 AM(UTC)
ed linssen

Hi all,

I have put A single Buff III together with the Arduino Uno. including the 4* SPdif module and the sidecar. Folowing GLT's fantastic Hifiduino blog for BII. Including the Code, last version.
Volume works but I can not choose inputs through the Arduino.
Maybe somebody could help me a little?
Ed

Edited by user Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:51:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Corpius  
#45 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:10:39 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Originally Posted by: ed linssen Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I have put A single Buff III together with the Arduino Uno. including the 4* SPdif module and the sidecar. Folowing GLT's fantastic Hifiduino blog for BII. Including the Code, last version.
Volume works but I can not choose inputs through the Arduino.
Maybe somebody could help me a little?
Ed

Hi Ed,

You need to add some code for switching inputs. I have been tweaking GLT's code heavily. I have added the option to change between GLT's screen layout and a simplyfied screen layout. Also added code for temperature control via LM35 temperature sensor. Changed the functions of the remote keys in a way that seemed more logical to me. Volume goes from 00 to 99 instead of the other way around. I have to add a function that switches off the dac using relays when there is no signal coming in for about 20 minutes. I have build the relay board last weekend.

I also wrote a part for switching inputs (both spdif and sidecar), but because I was a bit busy with other things lately I have not finished building the dac and also did not hook up the arduino. Therefore I have not tested the code for switching inputs. All other parts have been tested by Gwikse on his B2 (except for the temperature monitoringAngel )

So now I just need to finish my DAC to test it. Oh yes, i also have to change the code for the rotary encoder to match it with all the functions that now can be controled with my remote. I never connected te rotary encode yet Anxious . But I will soon.

if you sent me a PM I can sent you the code that I wrote for switching inputs.
Note that it is not tested yet. I can also sent you the code that I tweaked, but some parts like the temperature monitoring and switching off functions are probably not needed for you and can therefore be commented out. I think that you will like all other changed and added functions.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:16:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Corpius  
#46 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2012 6:35:20 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Hi,

When using the original firmware one has to set `input remapping` on using the dipswitch when the sidecar is used, but when using arduino instead of the original firmware does the ` input remapping` still needs to be set on using the dipswitch? Or is there another way of setting it on? Fi. Using one of the registers of the dac chip?
Corpius  
#47 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:04:47 PM(UTC)
Corpius

When looking at the registers it seems like the input remapping can be set in register 12:

|x|x|0|x|x|x|x|x| Remapping: No remap
|x|x|1|x|x|x|x|x| Remapping: Remap DIG outputs for "max phase separation in analog cell"

This is most likely the same 'input remapping' like the one that can be set using dipswitch SW2:8

The integration guide from Leon clearly states that this setting enables the use of the Sidecar module by remapping the inputs of the internal DACs. When ON it maps the DACs 1, 2, 5, and 6 to the DACs 3,4,7, and 8 respectively.

Therefore I conclude that the 'input remapping' can be OFF when using one of the spdif inputs from the spdif board. Does it have any sound wise advantages when it is OFF?
If so it would be best to set it ON only when using PCM/DSD via the sidecar.
Russ White  
#48 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 2:38:50 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
No that is not what is meant by remapping.

Look at the registers around the source for each DAC. :) All remapping does is set those registers.

That setting on register 12 should be left alone.

SPDIF only works in stereo/mono mode, and so it is essentially same as using the remapping firmware feature whether it is on or off.
Corpius  
#49 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:40:52 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Right. Thanks.

When reading my own post again I see now that it is the remapping of the digital outputs. Not inputs. Sometimes reading can be hard Whistle
Corpius  
#50 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:37:54 PM(UTC)
Corpius

When using the Hifiduino code the remote code is not quite correct. One can read about it on the Hifiduino site:

http://hifiduino.wordpre...num-remote/#comment-3164

For those who are interested. I hereby post my code to get the first 7 bits of the third byte from the apple remote. When using this code one should be able to use any of the apple remotes without the need of changing the code.

In the original code there are two lines:

c3 |= mask;
mask <<=1;

Change them to:

if (i>0)c3 |= mask;
if (i>0)mask <<=1;

When using this the codes from the remote for 'up', 'down', 'left, 'right', 'center', 'menu' and 'play' are respectively 5, 6, 4, 3, 46, 1 and 47.
They now correspond with the HEX values as described on the Hifiduino page
thomaspf  
#51 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 5:22:09 AM(UTC)
thomaspf

Without wanting to redirect this thread, I wonder whether I can ask a question about the Hifiduino code. I did a derivative of that code when it first came out and since I am finalizing my latest build I took a peek to see what had changed.

I came across the primeDpll routine and wonder whether people have success with that.

In my build I am using the S/PDIF mux with an I2S connection to a Buffalo II. Short of having Russ' new USB module available I ended up using the Lindemann DCC-24/192 connected to one ports of the mux. In this configuration I can only get a reliable lock for 176.4Khz and 192Khz when I set the DPLL to the second highest setting.

Is the priming routine supposed to help?

Cheers

Thomas

Edited by user Friday, June 29, 2012 5:23:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Corpius  
#52 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2012 11:23:36 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Better a late reply the no reply.
The primeDpll routine makes no difference for my setup. I can use the lowest dpll setting with both i2s and spdif without any unlocks, but only when the dac has warmed up for 5 to 10 minutes.

dsolodov  
#53 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 2:43:47 AM(UTC)
dsolodov

United States

Are both [S/PDIF->I2S] source and Arduino acting as 'master' on I2S bus in the setup?

Edit: replaced typo in I2S (C is 'S' in cyrillic...)

Edited by user Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:50:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#54 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:30:09 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I think you are confusing I2C and I2S.
Corpius  
#55 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 8:08:08 AM(UTC)
Corpius

There can be only one master, which is Arduino in my case
dsolodov  
#56 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 1:58:04 PM(UTC)
dsolodov

United States

Originally Posted by: Corpius Go to Quoted Post

Thank you for the response. If I use both a I2S source (S/PDIF transceiver) to feed Buffalo II and Arduino to control B-II, what's the proper configuration? Arduino needs to be a 'master'. Do I configure the S/PDIF transceiver source as 'slave'?

Edited by user Sunday, August 5, 2012 7:10:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Corpius  
#57 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 2:11:15 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Originally Posted by: dsolodov Go to Quoted Post

Thank you for the response. If I use both a I2S source (S/PDIF transceiver) to feed Buffalo II and Arduino, what's the proper configuration? Arduino needs to be a 'master'. Do I configure the S/PDIF transceiver source as 'slave'?

No, but you have to remove the onboard firmware chip of the Buffalo in order to use arduino (as master).

The i2s source and signals both have nothing to do with the communication between master (Arduino) and slave (DAC chip), that`s I2C.

Edit: to answer your question about the configuration, hook it up just as shown in the following link. It`s that simple!

HiFiDUINO I2C connection and level converter hookup

Edited by user Sunday, August 5, 2012 2:46:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: partly forgot to answer the question

glt  
#58 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:05:05 AM(UTC)
glt

Originally Posted by: thomaspf Go to Quoted Post
Without wanting to redirect this thread, I wonder whether I can ask a question about the Hifiduino code. I did a derivative of that code when it first came out and since I am finalizing my latest build I took a peek to see what had changed.

I came across the primeDpll routine and wonder whether people have success with that.

In my build I am using the S/PDIF mux with an I2S connection to a Buffalo II. Short of having Russ' new USB module available I ended up using the Lindemann DCC-24/192 connected to one ports of the mux. In this configuration I can only get a reliable lock for 176.4Khz and 192Khz when I set the DPLL to the second highest setting.

Is the priming routine supposed to help?

Cheers

Thomas

In practice, the primeDpll routine does not improve the unlock problem. Based on later experiments, the locking problem can be mostly solved if if you give it enough time for the clock to settle (up to 1 hour) and adding some shielding to the DAC. primeDpll was an earlier attempt to fix the locking problem and i just left it in code since it didn't see to have any negative effects.

Lately people have been using a synchronous approach which bypasses the local clock and thus eliminating all the locking problems.
glt  
#59 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:08:35 AM(UTC)
glt

Originally Posted by: dsolodov Go to Quoted Post

Thank you for the response. If I use both a I2S source (S/PDIF transceiver) to feed Buffalo II and Arduino to control B-II, what's the proper configuration? Arduino needs to be a 'master'. Do I configure the S/PDIF transceiver source as 'slave'?

I think you are confusing "master clock" with "master control". The Arduino is always the master control: meaning it sets the registers in the DAC. The audio sources can provide the master clock, but in the standard setting of the Buffalo, you don't have to feed it a clock since it locally generates its own clock. You don't have to worry about "master" or slave". Just connect the right wires and you are done.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed