Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brian Donegan  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 6:02:20 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
We have been trying very hard to get our hands on WM8741 chips, but have been unsuccessful so far. Our Wolfson distributor can't get them, and Wolfson has not been very forthcoming with information as to when they will be available. We are still trying, and hopefully something will happen.

In the mean time, we are trying to decide what to do. One obvious solution is to ship the new boards with WM8740 chips, which would work fine, but the DSD header would obviously be useless. As I learn more, I will let you know.

ejaouen  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 11:23:46 AM(UTC)
ejaouen

Groups: Member

Wait so as to use the WM8741 chips when available on the opus and at the same time discount the COD dac to make up for the opus unavailability !
Customers would be happy that way !
thanks
JoshK  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2008 8:02:32 PM(UTC)
JoshK

Well, if it is worth anything, here is my opinion. I do not care about dsd, as far as I am concerned it is dead, or never even started. I am interested in the Opus DAC though.
ejaouen  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2008 2:15:15 AM(UTC)
ejaouen

I totally agree with JoshK : I am not interested in DSD at all !
But I think the DN and SN ratio of the WM8741 are worth it over the WM8740 if the wait is not too long.

In fact the best for me is probably to get the COD DAC because the PCM1794 has the best S/N and DR ratios and no DSD.
But the lack of output stage in the OPUS (direct voltage output : no I/V stage required) breathes SIMPLICITY so it keeps me interested in the OPUS.
Maybe the COD with TXD is about as simple and even better performing (measured SNR and DR at the end of TXD).
A discrete I/V stage module for the COD will certainly win the decision for me in favor of the COD !
Rss Feed  Atom Feed