Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
zkdaz  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:39:29 AM(UTC)
zkdaz

Groups: Member

Hi

If I build a standard BII stereo setup fed by a Placid, and with the Tridents if they ever make another batch, would powering each channel of the IV stage separately be of any benefit? A single Placid HD is well in excess of the requirements to feed both sides of either the IVYIII or the Legato3 but would there be a significant improvement in channel separation by running each side from it's own transformer and Placid HD?

Has anyone tried this or got an opinion?

Thanks

Dan
klo  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2011 7:28:53 PM(UTC)
klo

Why I think this is a good question, wont it be a waste to throw away the Placid simply because it had not been designed to support wider demands.

Could the bipolar Placid PS be use to power the Legato and a separate HD Placid power the channel separately?

It would be nice to include into the manual the power consumption for each of the three power rails. Thanks

Edited by user Saturday, May 28, 2011 7:49:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

pinnocchio  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 7:15:10 AM(UTC)
pinnocchio

Canada

zkdaz wrote:
Hi

If I build a standard BII stereo setup fed by a Placid, and with the Tridents if they ever make another batch, would powering each channel of the IV stage separately be of any benefit? A single Placid HD is well in excess of the requirements to feed both sides of either the IVYIII or the Legato3 but would there be a significant improvement in channel separation by running each side from it's own transformer and Placid HD?

Has anyone tried this or got an opinion?

Thanks

Dan

Hi zkdaz,

Powering the IVY / Legato left and right channels with only one power supply won't make any noticeable difference... You would need to use two separate PSUs to have slightly better channel separation. Nothing to fall off the couch but it would yield improvements. I've done the test already with Legato 2, Legato 3.1 and IVY III and went back to single PSU... I highly recommend dual PSUs on preamps and power amps though.

I guess Russ's design is so good that it works beautifully when using only one PSU!

Ciao!
Do
pinnocchio  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 7:38:23 AM(UTC)
pinnocchio

Canada

klo wrote:
Why I think this is a good question, wont it be a waste to throw away the Placid simply because it had not been designed to support wider demands.

Could the bipolar Placid PS be use to power the Legato and a separate HD Placid power the channel separately?

It would be nice to include into the manual the power consumption for each of the three power rails. Thanks

Hi klo,

You can use a DMM in the mA section and probe each section separately (left channel, right channel, balsie), just don't put in the jumpers J1-J4.

So one probe on the + rail of the Placid BP and the second probe on the + rail of the Legato / IVY and connect the ground and - rail directly. Set your DMM for mA reading (make sure it has at least 500mA fuse...

Power on the Placid (make sure the voltage is set accordingly before powering and that your current is set to 450mA). Your DMM should give you the consumption in mA. Repeat for all three sections. You can then post it for us! Whistle

Thanks
Do
Rss Feed  Atom Feed