Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
suffolk tony  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:09:44 AM(UTC)
suffolk tony

Groups: Member

I've just built my first Buffalo II, using TP transformers, Placid BP, Placid and Legato. I also bought a TOSlink module and MUX 4:1 but for the time being I'm just using SP/DIF co-ax straight into the Buffalo.

As this is only the third DIY Hi-Fi project I've undertaken I'm delighted that everything works really well; a tribute to the superb quality of the kit supplied and the design. And a bit of a miracle for an old duffer like me!

I've also got the Trident regulators and I now feel a bit more confident in fitting these but I confess I'm a little worried about adjusting the Placid for the increased power necessary to supply Buffalo and Tridents. It seems to me, reading the various posts and simplifying them down to my low level of understanding, that I need to do three things to the Placid - 1. solder a link across R5, bypassing the resistor. 2. Adjust VR1 to produce a voltage of 0.50V across R8. 3. Fit a larger heatsink.

I would be grateful for folks' views on this. I don't really wish to compromise the DAC as it stands and I understand Twisted Pair are likely to produce a higher-powered Placid at some stage so I'd get one of those & use the existing Placid to power the TOSlink module and MUX.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:10:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:22:04 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
The shorting of R5 is not always necessary. Trying to getting it working without doing that first.

Also the fitting of larger heat sinks might be a good idea, but actually may not be necessary.

Don't look at 500ma CCS current as an absolute. All that you need to do is get it so that the placid is shunting 30-40ma while under load. Measure across R3 to see how much current is being shunted away.

Also always be conservative with Placid output voltage. Aim for about 5.25V, not necessarily 5.5V. There is no penalty for doing this.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed